Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PukkaDanks

The Wabi Sabi Aesthetic System - A Pillar For Mindfulness

1 post in this topic

Hey guys,

The world is getting ever more digital and sterile. I think this is one of the contributing factors to how uptight everyone is nowadays. Everything has to be 'pixel perfect' there's no room for embracing the imperfectly perfect nature of life.

I came across a theory called attention restoration theory which postulates that in order to fully restore our energy we need time in a phase called 'soft fascination'

Soft fascination is basically focusing on something to the extent you can get out of your head, but not so much it becomes a source of distraction, it's basically mindfulness. Interestingly one of the best proven ways to get soft fascination is to be out in nature.

I think we can imiatate nature in our homes etc. by surrounding ourselves with wabi-sabi items, unfinished woods, stones etc. Perhaps if we can do this we can better restore our energy, and live happier, healthier lives.

In this video I attempt to draw all these dots of attention restoration theory <> soft fascination <> wabi-sabi aesthetic and give some practical advice of how we can get a bit more wabi-sabi in our lives. For example, by talking frequent trips to the country, and consuming digital media that may imitate nature.

Interested to hear your thoughts,

Tom