Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rNOW

To be or not to be in a Relationship.

2 posts in this topic

Back story:

I've been in a very toxic relationship once. That was my one and only relationship and I've never dated anyone since or before. It has been 7 years being single now, and I knew I had to fix a lot of issues in myself to avoid attracting another toxic relationship. I've thought about what I want to do in life and how I wish to live and what kind of relationship I want, and I'm unwilling to compromise on it. I wish to pursue awareness work and that would mean the person I choose to be with, must be walking in the same direction. This poses some problems, because I'm not sure how to go about looking for such guys, or should I even bother? I'm fine being single all my life. 

The reason I'm posing this question is to understand if I'm probably just projecting my past on all relationships? Or is it me being too picky? A lot of guys who show interest in me want to earn a lot of money and live on a yatch and get famous etc. etc. and I do not wish to be onto that. Not that I'm judging it, but I'm not sure I am capable of taking joint decisions of any kind with someone who is walking in a different direction. 

I don't live in a place where dating is the norm, and I'm not very sure of arranged marriages. They are just like making a financial deal and it puts me off. So the question being: Have you guys wondered, if romantic relationships are worth pursuing at all? How did you come to your decision? 

A romantic relationship has the potential to be one of the greatest, most fulfilling experiences in life. Humans are hardwired for personal relationships and there can be amazing mutual growth under the right circumstances. That said, you have got to be realistic about whether it is worth it for you personally. Is your surrounding region full of guys that fit your criteria? How would you go about meeting a new partner if dating is not the norm? Is moving an option or is it not important enough to cause you to uproot yourself?

Also, when looking for a partner who is open to awareness work, how much familiarity must this person have initially ? In my personal experience, as long as your partner is open-minded enough, it is possible to introduce awareness work into his/her life gradually, even if they have no prior experience. But there has to be a foundation of openmindedness from the start, and the introduction must be EXTREMELY gradual. 

Anyways, I would suggest that you remain openminded to new possibilities yourself and don't write off guys whose current ambitions are fame and money. Maybe no one has shown them any other options. 

Good luck!