Impossible To Catch Up?

7 posts in this topic

Leo mentions in his video "Advice For High School & College Students" that self-actualization gets increasingly harder as one gets older. 

Do you believe that with hard work it is possible to catch up for squandered high school and college years, or are those people doomed to never realize their full potential?

I think that it's very likely that you'll reach your full potential if you put in many hours. Mastery of anything requires hard work and a lot of hours.

?

It's never too late to start working on yourself. This is the best thing you can invest in anyway, so there is always a reason to start.

I see the full potential as a different issue. If you look at this situation right now, your full potential will be the state you can achieve by starting working immediately. I don't think that starting earlier would help in this case. Of course, you would have more time and you would be probably on a higher level, but your full potential would have still the same definition. There is no end in this process; at least, I can't imagine myself being sure of what I think. You should always look for more.

If I'd get to know that smoking kills me, I wouldn't ask whether quitting is worth it.

Let me ask you a question: Catch up with whom? Leo? Probably impossible ;P with the one you were five minutes ago? Definitely! Do not compare. That's not fair to you. Everyone starts from a different angle at different ages. You are best at something else, I'm sure!

try to see it in the present moment: what do you really want to do? What do you want to have been doing? I guess the things nessesairy to achieve (or at least get closer to) your goals .

one last thought: the future is always to some percentage uncertain. That's called life. It is always possible that one won't earn every seed sowed. But that's not only true for you! One may start "in time" but die in a car crash.. 

Peace Algebro B|

I think it's the opposite. As you get older you have more life experience and you are mentally stronger. Maybe as people grow older they are less willing to change but that is a different problem. Most of actualization involves emotional mastery which you can do better as you get older. But it's going to be difficult no matter what age you are. So in general I would say age is not an important factor. It depends more on how much you are willing to change and undergo emotional hardship.

Increasingly harder to believe and change. You seem to get past that. :)

At 60 years old, just what tiny bit of study I've done has helped tremendously.  I feel like I have finally  found the  "missing link".  There is so much to process but at least I am heading in right direction.  I have been searching for this all my life.  Thanks.