Teags

Definition Of Shadow Work

7 posts in this topic

Can someone please explain to me what shadow work is? I've seen it mentioned on here and I did google it but can't believe everything on google and would rather hear a definition from someone who's actually experienced. 

Edited by Teags

it means integrating into your system the parts of you you have a taboo against, the parts of you you refuse to aknowledge because your belief system says they are unacceptable.
I watched this 2 days ago. although it may seem fruity and soft it gets the job done. give it a try

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

@Teags

Shadow work is about wholeness.  The Big Mind process is a kind of shadow work, where you let an undersierable part of yourself speak, express itself, and doing this heals the pain body and integrates the poles of your psychic life. 

If you want in depth, read the last 10 posts I've contributed, it's about my personal understanding of shadow work.

@Lorenzo Engel Thank you for this, real powerful :)

@Teags  Thank you for asking this question, I did it a while ago, unknowing it is called "shadow work" but it fits good. But maybe, you could also ask yourself : what would it mean for you, if nobody gave you a definition?

As I meditated including this kind of work, I first gave each emotion a face and a name.. It was useful because that way I could acknowledge each one and speak with him/her directly and further understand better why they "sabotaged" some of my actions..

Hope it may help you..

For me, it seems it's time to practice again, I negliged it the last time but it's a great exercice to practize mindfulness and self inquiery, so , thank you again :)

5 hours ago, Lorenzo Engel said:

it means integrating into your system the parts of you you have a taboo against, the parts of you you refuse to aknowledge because your belief system says they are unacceptable.
I watched this 2 days ago. although it may seem fruity and soft it gets the job done. give it a try

Math Kahn is great

Makes me think of the book "Radical Honesty". Where you express your resentments even though you might know you have no grounds for feeling the way you do. You express it anyway, because it is true. 

Is it similar or am I completely off track here? 

15 hours ago, MartineF said:

@Lorenzo Engel Thank you for this, real powerful :)

@Teags  Thank you for asking this question, I did it a while ago, unknowing it is called "shadow work" but it fits good. But maybe, you could also ask yourself : what would it mean for you, if nobody gave you a definition?

As I meditated including this kind of work, I first gave each emotion a face and a name.. It was useful because that way I could acknowledge each one and speak with him/her directly and further understand better why they "sabotaged" some of my actions..

Hope it may help you..

For me, it seems it's time to practice again, I negliged it the last time but it's a great exercice to practize mindfulness and self inquiery, so , thank you again :)

@MartineF I have also done something similar to you without knowing that it was called shadow work thanks to Mal. I think it's a great exercise. 

@Mal thank you for defining it. 

@Lorenzo Engel thank you for sharing the video. Looks interesting, will watch when I get some spare time :)