ChrisE

Wristband measuring emotional sweat

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My first post here after using a couple of days reading on the forum :)

I represent a company in Norway which are in a process of developing a smart wristband with the goal to give people a way to «measure self improvement».

I`ve read through the guidelines and hope my post does not break any rules. I want to emphasis that we do not have a product, just the technology. Im not here to pitch or sell anything. Im here to learn and I hope this thread would be interesting for some of you to discuss :) 

The technology the product relies on is the measurement of skin conductance activity which is a direct measure of the sympathetic (stress nervous system) nerve activity. Basically what we do is analyzing a persons emotional sweat. The (patented) technology is today used in hospitals in Europe, were its used to analyse the patents state under surgeries (if the patient feels pain/is awake) under narcosis and measure pain on infants. In our research we have discovered its possible retrieve data to which degree a person is able to relax, including to which level a person go into "meditate state".  Our current research shows that the technology is much more sensitive and accurate than other alternatives in the market, such as brainwaves. The technology could also be used to monitor other forms for emotional stress, such as fair or anxiety.

We’ve done research through interviews and we’ve learned that «yet another wearable» is not necessary for everyone. People that are highly motivated and already have daily rutines for meditation and mindfullness are often more reluctant to use such a tool. They might not see the need of it. And we fully respect this. On the other side, if you are open-minded to use such tools or have any creative ideas, I would love to hear back from you on how you think such a tool could help you in your everyday life. It could be anything.. Motivation for meditation, handling anxiety or/and daily stress, improving sleep quality, improving capability to concentrate, or using relaxing tools for better health outcome… Whatever you have on your mind. 

It sounds like a very useful tool, congrats. 

Other than the things you mentioned, it would be really beneficial for researching emotions in film/media studies. I would like to see some empirical results, for example how can it show the people's reaction to horror movies.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. The example you are referring to is absolutely a good use case. We are tho looking more into measuring data as a tool to be able to handle daily life situations, such as stress, anxiety etc :)