Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest SirVladimir

I maybe found THE product to sell.

3 posts in this topic

What's up, Actualizers.

I originally didn't intend to share the subject here, because there are more specialized places about entrepreneurship (at least from the execution pov), but then I thought, what the hell.

So if you've read some of my previous posts, you'll know that my purpose is to explore, and that I am not the "9-5 type of guy." So I require different means to reach the end. You'll perhaps also know that I am running an Instagram niche account. I'm doing this because it essentially takes no time to post a picture once a day, and I want to see where it goes, even if just for the sake of it. The tag is @goimagination on Instagram; you may go ahead and check it out. The account itself provides almost zero original value (as of now), so I've been thinking about how to engage with the community and differentiate. One simple idea I had (and which was taken quite well by the peeps when I proposed it) is to create a clothing store. The products would either be limited collection, or not, nevertheless most designs would be made by the community. There would be monthly (or however common) contests, and people would then vote about the best design/s. The winning designs would then be added to the store and the profit would be split 50/50. The idea is, it somehow helps artists and kicks-off a change from the rest.

Seeing it from the business angle (using CENTS perspective) is that I do not have control over the printing and shipping (but I can always change providers). The front-end is a classic platform such as Shopify. If Instagram closes my account, I am out of business, too. Regarding entry, the unique part are the designs, other than that, pretty easy to replicate. Does it solve a need? People in the art and fantasy industry are generally supportive of each other, and while there is no huge "need" for T-Shirts or Hoodies as they stand, it's more about the brand and the story behind them. Time, which is a very important variable for me: there are no big obstacles here. Once you get a product running, that's if - you require time to promote it, and of course take care about the whole thing. It would definitely be a welcomed step-up from a student's life and a 9-5 future. Lastly, scale. The Instagram account targets the digital art, fantasy, adventure and perhaps the gaming industry. Thinking about it I see how little I have studied scaling on this one. So that's the basic technical analysis.

Seeing it from the softer side, I like the designer contest idea, especially if you consider the famous motto: Artists will always be poor. What I perceive it as, is an opportunity. The designs could of course be applied to any object, and not just on clothes. I went around and sought artists I would explicitly contact at the start of the contest. I targeted artists from second and less world countries, or at least those with little following, but amazing skills. I feel like this group of artists (esp. Philippines, Eastern Europe etc.) would perceive the event as an opportunity to shine, and even to make some money. You wouldn't believe how many hidden gems you would find, only if you dared to look. 

On the end note; over the last few days I also found an amazing, aesthetically looking product in the industry, which could be sold even for up to $75-$100 a piece. It instantly caught my eye. What's good is that it is an everyday object that most people use. The value is only perceived as such because handwork has been done to improve its appearance and "specialize" it for the industry. Anywhere else, it would sell for $5-$10 without the custom work. I have no experience with contacting manufacturers, especially when the desired product requires hours of handwork even with experience. I don't even know if anyone would be able to make this one in an automatized way. I will be looking into the process of contacting manufacturers and such; just to learn for now. The product is not mass-produced anywhere. I do not know how hard it would be to produce, nor if there are manufacturers focused on "DIY things." Oh well, all the more looking! I feel like the harder the process, the better the outcome.

If you made it down here, that's fine. If you have any words to say regarding conscious entrepreneurship for this case, go ahead. If not, that's fine too. This whole thing may not lead anywhere, but because of my life purpose I spoke about earlier, it may be a step in the right direction, and therefore it is to be shared as an inspiration.

On 13/01/2020 at 10:00 PM, SirVladimir said:

Seeing it from the business angle (using CENTS perspective) 

Refencing good ol' MJ's UNSCRIPTED? Great book. 

As for manufacturers, if you submit an RFQ (request for quotation) they'll price it up and do their best to make it for you. If they can't, they can't but they'll go far to try and win your business! 

I've not seen your other posts, but good luck with the process. 

16 hours ago, Black Flag said:

Refencing good ol' MJ's UNSCRIPTED? Great book. 

Referencing good ol' MJ indeed. :)

Silicone forms are probably the best bet. Still, that'd only be half-way done. I'll see what I can do -- as you said, many of these guys will go far to make it happen.