Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Deciding What To Do After High School

2 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I have an issue deciding what and where I am going to college. Most people say I should stay local because it is cheaper however I do not want to do this because I would like to move on with my life a develop new relationships. I feel lost because I can not decide on a major, not because I don't know what I'm good at  but because I do not know what to focus on. I'm passionate and skilled at audio engineering and film making however I don't know if I want to major in it. I also am good with computers but I fear that it won't be beneficial to major in that because I don't love that as much. Any experiences people would like to share that could help?

Thomas, 

I had this same debate when I was graduating high school. I went with the more expensive option, the option that was a bigger risk, but also had the biggest reward. I moved to Washington DC and have spent the past four years going to museums and the zoo, exploring the city and meeting amazing people. I have friends from France, Germany, Australia, and fell in love with a girl from England. It's expanded my life immensely. 

College is a time to do exactly that. Expand yourself. Get as many new experiences as you can. Explore new things. DO NOT worry about your major for the first 2-3 semesters at least! Do some of the requirement classes, take classes you're interested in, and talk to professors and upper-level students in those areas until you have a better idea what that career path is actually like. 

I say take the plunge. If it excites you, if it feels right, if it will help you grow as a person without being too impractical, do it. We often need to get out of our comfort zones and our home towns to really change. I have friends who stayed back home and, years later, they're still in the same place, doing the same things, or worse. 

Either way, if you do well you can always transfer! Take it easy, do well in class, explore what you're interested in, and enjoy yourself!