Rasheed

How much fruits and vegetables per day?

44 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Dumuzzi said:

This is a fascinating discussion. There are some good arguments on all sides. A few things that sprung to mind as I was reading this:

- Humans, like our closest relatives, chimpanzees, are omnivores. We are neither Herbivores, nor Omnivores. That is just a scientific fact and no serious biologist would question it.

- Traditionally, humans lived a Hunter-Gatherer lifestyle. Women gathered berries, mushrooms, roots, oysters and whatnot, whilst men went out to hunt. At the end of the day, they shared whatever they managed to forage or hunt. This goes back hundreds of thousands of years, if not millions to many ancestral hominid species. That is again a scientific fact that is not in dispute.

- There are human groups alive today, who traditionally consume no fruits and vegetables at all and have not done so for millennia, yet they thrive. The Inuit are a prime example. We are not aware of any human groups that as a whole, do not consume any animal-derived products and have managed to survive on a purely vegan diet for many generations.

- Sustainable agriculture is simply not possible without animal husbandry. If you want to grow only plants, you will need plenty of Industrial inputs, especially fertilisers and pesticides to make it work.

- Most of the earth's surface area is unsuitable for plant-based agriculture. It can only be utilised by grazing. The seas and oceans can only be utilised by humans if we eat the animals that live in them. If we stopped utilising these areas to get our food, most humans would probably starve. On the other hand, if we ate just meat, it would use up so much in terms of resources, that again, many would starve. So yeah, how about a balanced diet that includes everything, just saying...

Heart disease was ubiquitous among the Inuit 

Background: The notion that the incidence of ischemic heart disease (IHD) is low among the Inuit subsisting on a traditional marine diet has attained axiomatic status. The scientific evidence for this is weak and rests on early clinical evidence and uncertain mortality statistics. Methods: We reviewed the literature and performed new analyses of the mortality statistics from Greenland, Canada, and Alaska. Findings: The evidence for a low mortality from IHD among the Inuit is fragile and rests on unreliable mortality statistics. Mortality from stroke, however, is higher among the Inuit than among other western populations. Based on the examination of 15 candidate gene polymorphisms, the Inuit genetic architecture does not obviously explain putative differences in cardiovascular disease prevalence. Interpretation: The mortality from all cardiovascular diseases combined is not lower among the Inuit than in white comparison populations. If the mortality from IHD is low, it seems not to be associated with a low prevalence of general atherosclerosis. A decreasing trend in mortality from IHD in Inuit populations undergoing rapid westernization supports the need for a critical rethinking of cardiovascular epidemiology among the Inuit and the role of a marine diet in this population.

https://www.atherosclerosis-journal.com/article/S0021-9150(02)00364-7/fulltext

On 08/11/2019 at 3:23 AM, MartinMaggio said:

One of the most common health myths is that we have to “alkalize” with green juice, multi-level marketing products and fasting.

Those things throw off the body’s ability to balance the pH of the various tissues. Alkalinity exists as a secondary system and as a buffer.

What really cleanses the body are acids.

“An acid medium is unfavorable to the growth of most bacteria and acids generally possess considerable disinfectant power” (A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry, 1921). Pathogenic bacteria thrive in an alkaline environment.

Alkalanity increases scar tissue formation, vascular sclerosis, shrinks the thymus gland and the spleen, and exacerbates the cortisol response. Chronic alkalosis is often caused by excessive stress, serotonin and lactic acid.

Increasing cellular respiration is the focus to reverse excessive intracellular alkalinity. This can be achieved by limiting omega-3 consumption as much as possible and consuming carbohydrates frequently, protein from animal tissues and saturated fat.

Furthermore : Besides mucus, one of the biggest myths perpetuated by the misinformed public is regarding acidity and alkalinity.

Blogs, memes and documentaries have convinced us that meat and dairy creates excessive acid, mucus and opens the door to parasitic infection.

All of that couldn’t be further from the truth and, in most cases, is the exact opposite.

Meat is the highest source of phosphorus which is converted into dihydrogen phosphate, one of the most powerful buffers that can give or take hydrogen ions. Amino acids (protein) can also donate or accept hydrogen ions.

The body has various buffering systems for dealing with excessive acids. The main systems are the bicarbonate system, the phosphate system and the protein system.

The pancreas is the organ responsible for storing bicarbonate ions and releasing those as needed to maintain homeostasis. 

A stressed cell is an alkaline one which is starving for oxygen due to PUFA (Polyunsaturated fats)  poisoning.

The cell starving for oxygen carries protons out of the cell in a desperate attempt to generate energy.

The conversion of pyruvic acid to lactic acid increases. This is the hallmark of cancer.

A healthy cell is slightly acidic when sufficient carbon dioxide is present from adequate carbohydrate, strong protein, and saturated fat consumption.

The body’s first line of defense against pathogens of all kinds (yeast, bacteria, parasites) is stomach acid.

Protein stimulates the release of hydrochloric acid. If protein is inadequate, or there is a copious amount of protease inhibitors (ubiquitous in nuts and seeds with PUFA) then that triggering mechanism will be weak.

When there is a lack of HCL from protein deficiency, food stays in the stomach for longer than it should.

Carbohydrates ferment, proteins putrefy and fats go rancid (lipid peroxidation gets a jumpstart).

When we were younger we had a high metabolic rate and lots of stomach acid. We had lots of energy, we healed quickly and could eat lots of food with no issues.

As we age and polyunsaturated fat consumption increases, stress increases and protein consumption decreases, our hydrochloric acid level goes down. Dr Jonathan Wright found that our stomach acid levels decline from age 20 and tank to nearly nothing at about the age of 70.

Diseases where the root cause can be low stomach acid include: insomnia, arthritis, osteoporosis, acne, allergies, asthma, depression and all gastrointestinal disorders.

If we aren’t consuming protein from muscle meats and bone broth then the doors are wide open for infections of all kinds, not just worms.

I would emphasize the importance of choosing grass-fed beef over grain-fed, simply for the fact that their immune systems will be stronger eating a biologically appropriate diet: grass.

A New legend on the forum

Please take a chair !

I cannot strive without french food everyone defending my diet style is welcome to my own palace of bias. ( Mostly bread )

9 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Please take a chair !

I cannot strive without french food everyone defending my diet style is welcome to my own palace of bias. ( Mostly bread )

Lol ?

On 11/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, Aeris said:

Please take a chair !

You're welcome :)