Marks199

Afraid Of My Psychopath Friend

7 posts in this topic

Hello people. Last week I read an article about narcissists and psychopath, and the description was specifying a lot with my friend. And I suffer from anxiety so I started to worry a lot well today I am better because I also started to play chess again and that made me see the things a bit better from the rational point of view. I wanted to ask if listening to Leo`s movies about worry are good and maybe others too? Well I am afraid that maybe once he will attack me because he can be very agressive and I read that they can be violent too, but at the same time he attacked me in a verbal way once.

Edited by Ivansmarks

@Ivansmarks I suggest that you create some distance with him, you could even tell him you afraid of him although this may backfire. Leo's video on worrying is just him explaining what worry is, and outlining that negative worry is fcking useless. Go one week with your "what-if" scenarios and turn them into positive what-ifs. Might as well watch the negative thought video, and monitor your thoughts 3 times a day for 5 minute sessions to have a clear insight into what your negative thoughts are. An example for the positive worry is instead of thinking "what-if he attacks me" think "what if he realizes that his behavior offsets my [your] anxiety", Practice positive affirmations, and seek help to eliminate anxiety. This may just be your anxiety catastrophizing your friend's impressions. 

https://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/ThinkingTraps.pdf

Also make sure you have a good grasp on what kind anxiety you have, so you are at-least informed instead of someone throwing pills at you 

http://www.psychguides.com/guides/anxiety-disorder-symptoms-causes-and-effects/http://www.psychguides.com/guides/anxiety-disorder-symptoms-causes-and-effects/

If all gos to hell, always have an exit plan. Learn self-defence, and keep yourself safe. If he is truly your friend, he will understand or atleast have sympathy as a psychopaths do not have empathy. If not, you're going to have to cut the thread and not be involved with this individual. Keep me updated on this issue.

Edited by JevinR

He is only here for three months and we don`t hang around anymore but he attacked me in a verbal way. Not physically. But since i have read about this I have got a bit scared.

@Ivansmarks It is ok, the fear is trying to protect you from harm but can often magnify the dangers. Possibly get a third-party involved to keep yourself safe and have a bird's eye-view of the situation. 

Are you sure that you are talking about a friend? I have no friends that would attack me verbally or any other way.  I choose who my friends are,  why aren't you doing that?

Well, this is a small European city that has only 40 thousand persons (mostly third age) everybody knows each other and therefore if I meet someone else especially a girl he can... manipulate. This is very small and if you stop hanging around with one person a lot of people that can be manipulated by him could reject you but not only because of that but also because "everybody is afraid of standing out with their own attitude and opinions that`s why we are called Balkan mentality" and there are other reasons its because of that. This region is super conservative and religious(closed minded) o there is to little knowledge about what is happening around you. I don`t hang around with him anymore because he is here for only 3 months. Its just being afraid.

Edited by Ivansmarks