Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smurfinstein

Guiding "magical" children through topics of awakening

4 posts in this topic

My daughter is 6, and clearly on the spectrum of what, in earlier days, would have put her solidly in a "magical" bucket. (For what it's worth, I think all children come to us pretty freaking "awakened" and I hold it my job as a parent to really just allow that portal not to close.)

As outward presentations or classic signs, she's definitely got synesthesia (she experiences colors as smells), is ambidextrous (interestingly, I hear synesthesia and ampi often come together), and now, I think she's got something I've always had... sleep paralysis/wakened dreaming.

(Quick background that might matter- I'm most classically trained in concepts of Wicca, a kind of mish-mash of neo-Shamanism and the broader spectrum of "energy work," am an intuitive (using tarot as my framework, usually, but more as a was to open claircognizance and what I call "claircabulary" or "clairetymology"- I have extremely specific words and phrases pop into my head, and the hyper-specificity of the words matter.) I was raised very religious, and the most my parents would say about it is that I "scared the bejesus out of everyone as a kid." As they evolved beyond religion somewhat, they were able to say, "Oh, smurf KNOWS. She's always KNOWN. She's always been an odd duck." It wasn't until I was 17 that I started investigating and self-training and un-doing what probably got shored up in my childhood.) 

The reason for my question-- Last night, she had another episode of what I assume is sleep paralysis/wakened dreaming (this is her second), which, I know, is completely terrifying. She's been talking about my dad non-stop (he passed about two years ago, when she was four. Magical moment: He was in a coma, pretty much, and my mom and I were talking to the nurse and turned around and she was doing this beautiful sign language/dance thing at the foot of his bed. We asked what she was doing, "I'm talking to Grandpa. I'm telling him goodbye and that I love him..." Pretty moving for our emotionally-stuffed family.) 

Anyhow, we also read a book last night that ended up being about a lioness that killed a baby buffalo and a camel-- she's extremely empathetic, especially about animals, so maybe it was too much for her.  And then she woke in the middle of the night, thrashing and squirming and trying to figure out "what to do with her body," like she was trying to fling snakes off herself, crying about how scared she was. I asked what her heart wanted to do, and if I could help. She said she wanted to cry it out and put her head under the covers and just screamed for a while. I did a mental energy clearing and sent her love, but really just kind of held space for her and let her process in her own way (so difficult as a parent, who wants to "fix it" or say "it's not real, dreams aren't real, it's just your mind making up stuff.") 

So, wall of text to ask: I probably should introduce some concepts of death and "energy never really goes away, it just changes form"/cycle of life and death and concepts of impermanence-- but in an age appropriate way. Anyone have resources on that? 

And, on a broader scale- anyone have resources about kids and "awakening" (or, I suppose, "staying awake")

My parents had to deal with a ton of this when I was a kid. My mom was more open-minded than my dad, so she was the one that I usually talked about this stuff with.

That’s the main thing she did. She just remained open-minded and when I brought up an experience that I thought was no big deal, she encouraged me to talk more in-depth about it. This was one of the ways that I found out my experiences weren’t typical.

This caused a chain-reaction of me bringing up crazier and crazier stories to her and there was a point where she actually started to get worried. It was too much for her despite how open-minded she was. This caused us to get into a couple of arguments at times while my dad would just joke around about me being an alien Lol (not in a mean way... he actually seemed convinced which was kinda eerie). 

Yet, despite the challenges that my mom faced with confronting how radical everything that I told her was, she continued to let me talk about as much as I could and continued to listen intently. Now she trusts me completely and actually comes to me with some of her questions. 

This alone, I think, has been enough. And it sounds like you’re not only listening to and trusting your daughter but also spiritually helping her with your own abilities. This is already much more than my parents could’ve done. Even as a very young kid, I was left to face the nightmarish side of the spirit world on my own. I had encounters with frightening beings that other kids my age wouldn’t face for another decade (when they were old enough to enjoy horror movies). So the fact that your daughter doesn’t have to go it alone is spectacular for her. In my opinion, you’re going above and beyond the mark??

Thank you for that affirmation @Synchronicity - My daughter is probably going to be in a boat much like yours. Her father (we're divorcing) thinks I'm generally crazy/the butt of a new-aged joke (funny thing, he was attracted to me because I was "goth"(ish) but has zero respect for anything deeper than a corset and some black eyeliner). When she had her last sleep experience, he was in her face yelling at her, shaking her, "tell me what's happening. Snap out of it! Wake up! It's just your mind playing tricks on you. What's going on?" and berated her for it for DAYS afterward "what was that? You need to tell me what you were thinking. Do you even remember that that happened?!" And she was clearly put off by his questions and didn't want to talk about it.

She just woke up this morning in a fine mood, and hasn't mentioned it, so I'm just loving her the way I always do-- if she wants to talk, I'm here, but this is not a thing to be "fixed through power and logic." (His M.O.)

Also, a fun alignment- I had lots of "alien" stuff going on when I was a kid, too. I don't know that my dad ever figured out that my thing for The Blue Angels isn't entirely about the FA-18 Hornet warplanes. Well, I bet he's figured it out now that he's passed. lol

It’s awful that he’s that aggressive with her. Hopefully the divorce will bring some relief. It sounds like your daughter’s able to brush off stuff pretty quick too!