ndalian

How To Make A Choice

7 posts in this topic

I had this dilemma for a long time. As Leo mentions in his videos we have very little time here and we have to be mindful of what we do.

But there are so many things out there in life and it is very overwhelming for me personally, as I struggle to make a choice between these things. Things that I want to achieve, skill that I want to obtain and a person that I want to become. I always have these priorities in my head that I believe are important for self development and success. But are they really? I would place a task in front of me.. Like I want to play a guitar (For example), Because I feel that it would make me more artistic and in tuned in creativity also because I wanted to play a guitar since I was 12, but never got a chance. And I don't remember anymore why I was so in to it, I just remember that I was... Then I torment myself for not following through or doing anything towards it. Unfortunately or maybe unfortunately I have 15 tasks like that some are spread as long as 20 year mark goals. Some tasks are greater deal in my head then others. My question is How to sort out or deal with the urge to do things in life. Because I know I can't be a guitar player, surfer, parkour runner, RNB hip hop dancer, Animated TV sires creator, MG freelancer.... and many other things all at the same time. It's impossible. It's impossible to be even moderately good at all of those thing at the same time. Now surely I can take one thing at and move one to the next, but I don't have completion point for these pursuits. Not to mention that I understand that eventually I will have to give up most if not all of them to move in to enlightenment and self actualisation.

Please let me know your thoughts.

10 hours ago, ndalian said:

I had this dilemma for a long time. As Leo mentions in his videos we have very little time here and we have to be mindful of what we do.

But there are so many things out there in life and it is very overwhelming for me personally, as I struggle to make a choice between these things. Things that I want to achieve, skill that I want to obtain and a person that I want to become. I always have these priorities in my head that I believe are important for self development and success. But are they really? I would place a task in front of me.. Like I want to play a guitar (For example), Because I feel that it would make me more artistic and in tuned in creativity also because I wanted to play a guitar since I was 12, but never got a chance. And I don't remember anymore why I was so in to it, I just remember that I was... Then I torment myself for not following through or doing anything towards it. Unfortunately or maybe unfortunately I have 15 tasks like that some are spread as long as 20 year mark goals. Some tasks are greater deal in my head then others. My question is How to sort out or deal with the urge to do things in life. Because I know I can't be a guitar player, surfer, parkour runner, RNB hip hop dancer, Animated TV sires creator, MG freelancer.... and many other things all at the same time. It's impossible. It's impossible to be even moderately good at all of those thing at the same time. Now surely I can take one thing at and move one to the next, but I don't have completion point for these pursuits. Not to mention that I understand that eventually I will have to give up most if not all of them to move in to enlightenment and self actualisation.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Your situation is normal for a human being functioning as the identity.  Functioning as the identity always leads to confusion in many ways. You are just basically tossed about from one thing to another in search of what you think will make you happy.  This idea that you will have to give up things to move into enlightenment and self actualization is very confining, it has nothing to do with giving up.  The problem is your entire thought process is governed by the thought process of the identity, ego, programing, and false belief.  You are not in a position of making a real choice, your choices are being made for you by those things.

If you want to have some choice in things you will have to move into a state of being that will allow that, one that ends the confusion of your thought process, one that replaces the programing and false belief with reality.   But then you have this idea and thought that you must give up much to be in that space of being, so in reality you are in a self defeating mode.  You need clarity, you need to see reality not what the identity and ego want you to see and feel.   To do that you will have to function as something other than the identity.  First thing get rid of this idea that you have to give up things to become self realized, because becoming self realized is your only way out of the box you have created for yourself. Then you will have to figure out how to become self realized if that becomes important to you, there are many theories and methods, philosophies, doctrines that you can play with for life times.  I have written several times on the site the shortest, most direct way to achieve self realization but if the desire is not there, it will be useless to pursue from the identity.  If your consciousness has begun to awaken and there is some desire to know the realities of yourself and life rather than believe nonsense, then there is hope for a new beginning which may lead to liberation from the identity and ego, programing and false beliefs.

To make constructive choices first you must be in a state of being that will allow you to have clarity and see reality rather than the nonsense of the physical world, to do that you cannot be attached to what is before you.  You have to see it as the observer only, as that the event will reveal itself to you , then you will be in a state of being that will make it possible for you to dismiss the event altogether or give attention to it and allow it to become more, but in this process there will be no mistake, no doubt, no failure.

You basically continue to function as the fictitious identity that you think you are or seek to be the true being that you are, which is a being of consciousness functioning in a liberated state of being,  (if) you are ready. and the answer to that lies within your own consciousness, and that will reveal itself as a desire for liberation, even though you may not fully understand,  liberation from what in the beginning, it will become clearer as you awaken more to the realization of who and what you really are.

The essence of what you are is a creator.  Therefore, you have to honestly ask yourself, what is it that you want to create? It should be something with long lasting value and can allow you to express yourself and contribute to society.

What is your vision for your life? What do you see yourself doing after 40-50 years. If those activities contribute to your vision, add it... if not, subtract it.

If you don't have a vision/direction to go... then you already know your next step work on that.

Sorry I didn't provide you specific answers, however, it is your life and your creation... no one should paint on your canvass that you are painting. In short, it is your creation.. your choice.

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

I have a tactic I use when I need to decide between 2 different paths so to speak. When I'm thinking about....do this or do that, the old "what should I do" dilemma. 

I feel/experience mentally each path fully in my body, as if I have 100% decided one way....and I see how that feels...

.. then I totally pretend I am taking the other path so to speak, and I see how that feels...

Everytime, one choice gives me a sort of anxiety and one choice gives me a sense of,"Ahhhh"...peace. I am not saying the easier or less work involved choice is the one with more anxiety as one might guess, it is really based on true feeling and feeling each direction and going from there. 

For example, I have applied this to job change decisions, end a relationship decisions, even deciding between different plans for a vacation day...This works for me.

I hope this is helpful.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:54 AM, cly said:

I have a tactic I use when I need to decide between 2 different paths so to speak. When I'm thinking about....do this or do that, the old "what should I do" dilemma. 

I feel/experience mentally each path fully in my body, as if I have 100% decided one way....and I see how that feels...

.. then I totally pretend I am taking the other path so to speak, and I see how that feels...

Everytime, one choice gives me a sort of anxiety and one choice gives me a sense of,"Ahhhh"...peace. I am not saying the easier or less work involved choice is the one with more anxiety as one might guess, it is really based on true feeling and feeling each direction and going from there. 

For example, I have applied this to job change decisions, end a relationship decisions, even deciding between different plans for a vacation day...This works for me.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you Cly, very interesting technique. I'll try that. But I guess in the end it's very difficult to let go of things. Because you will have to anyway, otherwise you wont get good at anything.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, charlie2dogs said:

Your situation is normal for a human being functioning as the identity.  Functioning as the identity always leads to confusion in many ways. You are just basically tossed about from one thing to another in search of what you think will make you happy.  This idea that you will have to give up things to move into enlightenment and self actualization is very confining, it has nothing to do with giving up.  The problem is your entire thought process is governed by the thought process of the identity, ego, programing, and false belief.  You are not in a position of making a real choice, your choices are being made for you by those things.

If you want to have some choice in things you will have to move into a state of being that will allow that, one that ends the confusion of your thought process, one that replaces the programing and false belief with reality.   But then you have this idea and thought that you must give up much to be in that space of being, so in reality you are in a self defeating mode.  You need clarity, you need to see reality not what the identity and ego want you to see and feel.   To do that you will have to function as something other than the identity.  First thing get rid of this idea that you have to give up things to become self realized, because becoming self realized is your only way out of the box you have created for yourself. Then you will have to figure out how to become self realized if that becomes important to you, there are many theories and methods, philosophies, doctrines that you can play with for life times.  I have written several times on the site the shortest, most direct way to achieve self realization but if the desire is not there, it will be useless to pursue from the identity.  If your consciousness has begun to awaken and there is some desire to know the realities of yourself and life rather than believe nonsense, then there is hope for a new beginning which may lead to liberation from the identity and ego, programing and false beliefs.

To make constructive choices first you must be in a state of being that will allow you to have clarity and see reality rather than the nonsense of the physical world, to do that you cannot be attached to what is before you.  You have to see it as the observer only, as that the event will reveal itself to you , then you will be in a state of being that will make it possible for you to dismiss the event altogether or give attention to it and allow it to become more, but in this process there will be no mistake, no doubt, no failure.

You basically continue to function as the fictitious identity that you think you are or seek to be the true being that you are, which is a being of consciousness functioning in a liberated state of being,  (if) you are ready. and the answer to that lies within your own consciousness, and that will reveal itself as a desire for liberation, even though you may not fully understand,  liberation from what in the beginning, it will become clearer as you awaken more to the realization of who and what you really are.

Thank you charlie2dogs, I see your point. I do agree with you. And I feel that you're much higher level in self actualisation then me. I have just started touching this topic and am taking one step at the time. I understand the idea and I believe this is where I am leading towards to. However I also understand that I will not become self actualised in one day and there are many things that are not clear to me, as my mind is still of a rookie. I am not at the "Creator" stage yet. Although moving towards it, I still have a long way to go. What you describing is great, but unfortunately my mind isn't ready to see it in away you're presenting it. And as much as I value this knowledge and see the higher purpose of it, I cannot fully appreciate. It is a process that will last my whole life. But as of now I am looking a more practical solution to my problem. I believe that may be meditation for me and coming my mind, so I can see more clearly.

6 hours ago, ndalian said:

Thank you charlie2dogs, I see your point. I do agree with you. And I feel that you're much higher level in self actualisation then me. I have just started touching this topic and am taking one step at the time. I understand the idea and I believe this is where I am leading towards to. However I also understand that I will not become self actualised in one day and there are many things that are not clear to me, as my mind is still of a rookie. I am not at the "Creator" stage yet. Although moving towards it, I still have a long way to go. What you describing is great, but unfortunately my mind isn't ready to see it in away you're presenting it. And as much as I value this knowledge and see the higher purpose of it, I cannot fully appreciate. It is a process that will last my whole life. But as of now I am looking a more practical solution to my problem. I believe that may be meditation for me and coming my mind, so I can see more clearly.

I fully understand what you are saying, the plus side of it is you have a very good attitude about things, it will serve you well, good luck