Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jez

Nature based purpose is unrewarding

2 posts in this topic

I’m an engineer in the renewable energy field. I got involved with this field of work because I care about the planet and I want to help the energy sector transition from burning fossil fuels to renewable energies. Although I believe what I’m doing is good for the environment I find it to be unsatisfying/unrewarding because i don’t get to see anything tangible resulting from my work (I.e It’s hard to see the positive impact I’m having on the environment) especially when I look around and see all the negative impacts of climate change (although I know it could be worse). 

I feel like if my purpose was to do with helping people rather than helping the environment it could be a lot more rewarding because i would be able to see the effect I’m having on people. Does anyone else that has a nature based purpose feel this way? Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

We still need skilled people in the renewable energy field and at this moment it’s something that you can actually do. You might not see the results now but you surely have my appreciation for doing it. It’s great that you want to help people too but as any other profession, it needs a new set of skills that you need to learn before you can do it. Maybe just try to do it first and see how it goes before you make a permanent decision.

I have an opinion on everything :D