korbes

Question about "The Big Leap" book

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone, I thought this forum would be the best to ask my question regarding page 139 and 140 in The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks.

Articulating your unique ability

"If you reflect on your unique ability, you'll probably find that it made its appearance early in your life. You used it, probably without being aware of it, to cope with stressful situations and optimize your ability to thrive".. (page 139)

-> Then on page 140 he says:

"That's the payoff I'd like you to get. To do that, I recommend that you deconstruct the set of Russian dolls until you uncover the one that contains your unique ability. Begin with a fundamental statement like this: I'm at my best when I'm ______________________

On page 139 he says that the unique ability is something that is often used as a coping mechanism to thrive better, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that is when I feel I'm at my best, as he says on page 140..

I'm a very empathic person and very creative.

So what does he really mean here, what does he want me to write? I wrote this: I'm at my best when I'm in the mindset of knowing what other people need (empathy), then I came up with a new idea for this statement, and over that sentence I underlined I wrote I'm at my best when I'm creating/innovating. 

Personally I feel best when I am innovating and creating new things or planning for the future (life/business plans etc.) But I might be best at being empathic?

How do you interpret these pages?