ValiantSalvatore

Meditation and darkness

1 post in this topic

I wanted to know how do you approach dealing with visual darkness while meditating, for instance when I meditate when it is dark or during the night. I notice that my imagination and fantasy go wild in interpreting shapes, that I see forming outside. For example, I look at my closet and I see a large shadow creature moving towards me, even if this is imagination or my sense perception, eyes, retina, brain... etc. (optic nerves)

Making sense out of the experience I become very scared because I am imagining negative or frightening forms, for example, a devil with horns, a goat-human devilish type creature looking down on me and I see the shapes in the shadow even if it is just the head of the creature.

I can't deal with this very well, and I tell myself oh it's not real, it's a figment of the imagination and then 20-30 seconds later I become scared what if it is real. What if I am thrown into Makyio suddenly or start to hallucinate, even if there is a low chance of that happening. (Because of DMT... I assume)

There is this driveness to interpret things in this particular way, my body reacts emotionally and especially my brain, so am I supposed just to sit through it? Even when I am going to scream because I am scared shitless? Without my neighbours, I would try a bit more, yet many worries kick in and I am not sure how to deal with that. I also think this is not very good. With psychedelics I found it to be a bit easier because I can rationalize I am tripping "anyway" and therefore I can deal with visual effects. I never had a horror trip with visuals. I had one slight horror trip where I felt I processed the dream of another person, two times with the same personality type... But I could have also just been "tripping"

I thought I lost this post but the forum saved it, therefore, I am posting. 

I wanted to know this also because I want to do darkroom retreats and the person who I wrote to here, quit after 4 days he also did psychedelics and said the sounds scared him. 

So, what are good ways to deal with the darkness I watched Leos blog and Peter Ralston talks about it from,  we are a teacup.

Is all of this fantasy, phantasma, imagination, hallucination, illusion and so on, why is it so impactful and how to deal with the darkness while sitting at night, closed eyes are fine, but what if I want to penetrate and overcome the fear? I had this fear since I was small which thought me a bit about the painbody... now that my identification ceased a lot (besides the brain ) I notice that ... only my brain reacts and I want to move... so is there a way to reinterpret darkness in some proven way?