Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Charles

Self Teaching

2 posts in this topic

I'm in my third year in college, studying history. I think it's boring, and that it's making me less passionate about learning. I don't like time constraints, or being told what to do. I want to learn at my own pace, and not have to think about grades or parameters. I'm also distracted and stressed a lot by social life, generally by caring what other people think of me, particularly professors, trying to impress them and get validation. When I think of self teaching, I imagine my self focusing on one topic for at least a month or two, spending many hours each day (mayby 5-6) studying and aquiring a deep understanding of it, and being able to recall it easily, then moving on to another topic for another month (or shorter time if simpler topic, or less info...), and so on. I like focusing on one thing at a time. This is currently not the case. I think I can do better on my own, in part because I think I'll enjoy it more, but I'm not sure. I won't have the guidance I have from professors, or the motivation I get from the subtle competition with other students. I'll also have to provide myself with the necessary resources, which might be costly. There's a lot I haven't considered. Has anyone here self thought before? Any insights you could share?

You can never really be self thought@John Charles because when you are reading a book it is someone else teaching you...  the internet is a huge resource, you can find almost everything there..  if you find yourself not having enough money then be little more mindfull on where you spend your money in a sense I am learning psychology on my own + ve psychology, but I'm learning it from Leo and many other books that I have downloaded I don't have a degree in psychology but I just love learning it lets see where it will take me... It will take me a lot of time to master it I'm currently  a baby in this field.