Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fanis

How do i start all over again without getting discouraged?

5 posts in this topic

Hello. 

I've been working out a lot for over 5 years. 

Then something happened in my life, i stopped and i started eating unhealthy foods and smoking for the past year or so. Am 25 btw. 

While i was 90 kg, now am 130kg with lots of fat. 

I really feel bad about myself and i compare my body to my old body and this makes me feel even worse cause i know i have to go through that pain all over again. 

I don't know where to start and where to find the motivation. 

When i start nutrition and i make a small mistake i beat myself so badly and i feel like the game is over and i start all over again getting more discouraged cause i didn't have the discipline to stick to eating healthy. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks.

I think first of all you need to find a way to be able to forgive yourself for gaining way and try to accept your current situation as hard as that can be. Realise that this is you right now, your current situation is that you are overweight and that's ground zero. This does not mean accepting being overweight for the rest of your life. You know that it is not healthy and good for your longevity so you will have to find and efficient method to start. 

While you are working on acceptance, of course it will be helpful to identify a technique that will help move to where you want to get. The most obvious way is usually to go to gym and start running on treadmill but that will only get you into viscous circle. And quite frankly running is quite boring and dull and not even that good for fat loss because you are not building your metabolic factory as you would in the gym. 

To effectively transform your body you may want to start gaining muscle. Itis metabolically more active than fat, it burns way more energy even when you are idle and this will help you to burn more stored fat. It will also help to start transforming your body much faster. Although it may slow down your weight loss on scale but because the fat will be replaced by lean mass, the weight loss will occur.  Two people at same height can be 100kg but they would look completely different where one is chubby and the other ripped. 

If you were considering a program that you can follow, i would advise looking into AthleanX. Jeff Cavalier, the founder has a biggest youtube channel and his advice is incredible. He sells multiple programs that actually work but you will have to work very hard. I would suggest AX-1, that is really good for beginners. Watch few of his free vids on youtube and see what you think. I genuinely believe that Jeff wants to help people, he doesn't strike me as your typical douche selling shitty fitness programs to enrich themselves. 

In terms of diet, you probably know there is fixing to be done. Not sure what it is right now so cant comment unless you share more, 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I can't say anything as wise as Michael already did, though I can share my personal experience.
I fight this discouraging feeling by trying to focus on the sheer joy of a process, and the fact that this is all a journey for me, and not a destination. It could be exercising, diet, jogging, staying healthy... anything you like. 
You also have to keep in mind that progress isn't an uninterrupted straight line pointing up. There are slumps, peaks, valleys, and plateaus. 

Edited by jane_ryder

@Fanis Keep trying Fanis! Eating healthy is fucking hard, you're not alone in this. I mean just imagine how addicted we all are. I think I heard sugar is stronger than a cocaine addiction often times. So go a little easier on yourself :) It's ok. It really is. Just get back on your feet and try again, but maybe try a different strategy this time. Personally, I have 5 habits around eating healthy that have been working: 1) I tell myself I can have a small unhealthy snack at the end of the day, and the other 4 habits are 4 of the 5 healthy meals I know how to make haha. I added these habits one at a time, every 30 days. It is all about the incremental changes with something like diet. When I went all in and went from a completely shit diet to a healthy one, I would be fine for months, then fall back into my own ways. But this new strategy has worked for a while now. 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:10 AM, Fanis said:

I don't know where to start and where to find the motivation.

Maybe start small this time too :)

Every day is a fresh start, think of it as a phase that is just about to pass and things will seem better.

For more information and encouragement, read and listen to these female public speakers. Hope it helps :)

All the best!