Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hansu

Setting artificial due times to tasks

3 posts in this topic

Its been long known technique to increase productivity by setting earlier than due times for your work. For example, if you are a writer and you have contract for a book and contract says due time is in 12 months, then setting an artificial due time of "I will have this book done in 4 months" has been shown to greatly increase your effectiveness and quality of your work, helping you to write faster, polish the work more and avoid procrastination

I have tried this with my schoolwork, but it doesen't seem to work. I have tried to set goals for projects a week before they are due, but still I tend to procrastinate and  push through the project a day or two before it is due which creates unnecessary stress and lowers the quality of my work.

So, how can I trick my brain to think the artificial due times are as real as the actual due times are?

Edited by Hansu

You cant.

Sadly our brains are too smart for this. You secretly and transparently know it is artificial. Anything artificial in life has no influence, including such an idea.

But I empathise the desire to do your school items.

Here is one technique that I used on nearly every assignment or essay I had in college.

Take the essay question out (or assignment or project). Just the question or the assignment description.

Have a blank piece of paper and pen. Yes very important for pen and paper to be non-digital.

Set timer for one hour.

Now, simply read your question and allow yourself to daydream and think about anything that pops up with the question. Write those things down.

This is a very messy (and fun) process of association.

Just allow yourself to think of all sorts of anything. Dont try and answer the question (although if answers arise you can write them down).

The only success for this is to sit down for one hour.

If you only write down one word, its a success.

If you do this, you will KNOW what you need to do and you will be surged to do the assignment with ease, speed, fluidity, quality and comprehension.

14 hours ago, JohnnyBravo said:

Take the essay question out (or assignment or project). Just the question or the assignment description.

Have a blank piece of paper and pen. Yes very important for pen and paper to be non-digital.

Set timer for one hour.

Now, simply read your question and allow yourself to daydream and think about anything that pops up with the question. Write those things down.

This is a very messy (and fun) process of association.

Just allow yourself to think of all sorts of anything. Dont try and answer the question (although if answers arise you can write them down).

The only success for this is to sit down for one hour.

If you only write down one word, its a success.

If you do this, you will KNOW what you need to do and you will be surged to do the assignment with ease, speed, fluidity, quality and comprehension.

This actually sounds really promising since it takes out biggest reason for my procrastination; "where should I start?"

I'll definitely try it out, thanks!