Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eike

How To Learn Any Language Superfast

3 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

since I need to learn spanish for college I'm curious about learning it fast. I don't like wasting time but I like learning vocabulary by repetition only even less. So lets get to the point: There are several techniques and advices on how to learn a language fast(er) and I'd like to know if you have any experience with them or maybe even other videos or tipps for learning a language. I'll just put here some links of some Ted talks I have in my mind:

And I'm particularly interessted in this one by Tim Ferris:

Because I won't be able to live in a spanish speaking country for the next year at least, I'm espacially interested in those tipps, which dont require me to go in such a country. Advices for holiday jobs in spain are welcome too :)

I'm looking forward to your answers, enjoy your day :)

Hi there,

Great topic. I learnt Spanish in a year through total immersion. It's the best and simplest technique I've found for language learning. You want to essentially remove English (or whatever your first language is) from your day to day life and replace it with your target language. There may be some obvious situations in which you cannot do this (your work for example) but for everything else you must.

Yes, this is easier if you live in a country that speaks your target language, but it's not impossible if you don't. I learnt Spanish through immersion in Mexico, but I've learnt other languages through fabricated immersion whilst still living here. The trick is that you create your own immersion; surround yourself in books, movies, comics, radio stations etc in your target language. Plan Skype calls with native speakers, keep a journal of your progress in your target language. At first it will be really hard but eventually as the days turn into weeks and the weeks into months you'll feel yourself making progress and this should encourage you to keep going. 

Also check out www.fluentin3months.com for a supportive community and advice on how to progress   

Thanks for sharing ..and I thing they principally point to the same point somehow:

The best technique is to be passionate about the language you want to learn. If you are, you will soak it like a sponge, for example as @Mr Green  immerges into,. There are so many possibilities and you will find and use them naturally, by the way, so to speak.. (Echange with native speakers, books, videos and forum about interesting themes in this language, radio, TV etc)

If you aren't.. Start with looking for a way to get motivated, since otherwise you will battle against your self and miss the goal

PS: if you are interested in personal developement, you could watch videos from Sergi Torres (youtube) .. He comes from spain and I think he's inspiring,and he speaks relatively slowly (besides, in case you don't know it, you can slow the speed down, in order to understand better :))

Edited by MartineF