AlldayLoop

Don’t Neglect Your Posture!

4 posts in this topic

For the past couple of days I was dealing with a slight, annoying pain on my left arm (starting from below my shoulder down through the front bicep). It got me to realize that it is important to not neglect our posture, especially for us who work behind a computer most hours of the day. Here are some things that I have either been doing, or want to make a conscious effort to do on a regular basis:

• A solid strength training program, even with just resistance bands. One of my goals when I was a teenager was to be a bodybuilder and to perfect my nutrition. Those days are gone, and I’ve become more balanced. I believe that you don’t have to be a super-serious bodybuilding gym-rat to get the benefits that strength training provides. I will integrate that back into my life soon. 
  • I have a small adjustable desk stand that can, for example, hold a tablet or laptop; I believe that alternating between sitting  and standing sessions is beneficial - instead of just sitting all the time. 
  • For every hour of inactivity/staying static, do a light exercise for one minute (walking, jump rope, push ups, etc.) I learned this from using my Apple Watch. The Watch literally buzzes me every hour that I am inactive, and so I set a timer for a minute and do a light activity. 

Here is a really good article that I found about dealing and preventing hand, wrist, and arm pain. Don’t wait until it happens to you! Best to educate ourselves and to build strong habits to prevent our bodies from degrading earlier than it has to otherwise. 

Other healthy habits: 

• The 20-20-20 rule (I discovered this through an Acuvue e-newsletter): for every 20 minutes you stare at a computer/phone screen, turn your attention away at an object/scene 20 feet away. Do that for 20 seconds. 
  • Make sure you put night shift mode on your electronics at least an hour before your set bedtime. My devices are automatically set to do this. This can prevent the blue light from reducing your melatonin production, which can help you fall asleep faster. 
  • Newer version of iOS and Android have features that help limit your phone/internet use. I have my iPad and iPhone set to block most of my apps at 8:15pm sharp, and my Bedtime is set to 9:15pm (Bedtime automatically puts my devices on Do Not Disturb and blocks all notifications from showing up, even on the lock screen). These are powerful tools, but I am guilty (as I’m sure most people are) of giving myself more time (yes, you can conveniently just click on the “Ignore” button). I will have to discipline myself to not click on the ignore button 90+% of the time. 

Anyone else have experience with pain due to poor posture? Any other healthy habits that you’ve guys integrated that has helped prevent health issues from our modern computer and smartphone use? 

Edited by AlldayLoop
Added more healthy habits and organized everything by bullet points

10 hours ago, Sahil Pandit said:

Did you see Leo's video on releasing body tension? 

I do not think so. Which one are you referring to?