Kloof

Living Ethically as a Discipline

1 post in this topic

Hi Leo! I read something a couple weeks ago that changed my perspective on ethics, and was wondering if you could expand on it in one of your videos one day. :)

“Spiritual traditions regard ethical living as an essential foundation. However, their understanding of ethics is very different from conventional views and far more psychologically astute. “Rare are those who understand virtue,” sighed Confucius.

Spiritual traditions view ethics not in terms of conventional morality, but rather as an essential discipline for training the mind. Contemplative introspection makes it painfully apparent that unethical behavior - behavior that aims at inflicting harm - both stems from and strengthens unhealthy, destructive motives and emotions such as greed, anger, and jealousy.”

-The World of Shamanism by Roger Walsh

In all, the author only has a few paragraphs to say on this topic. I considered ethics as a kind of morality, and my struggle to make more ethical decision often came down to, “How guilty will I feel if I eat this chicken sandwich?” Thinking of ethics as a discipline rather than a moral obligation gave me some resolve to try harder.

I love you rant against morality video. I would love to hear your perspective on how to live ethically without succumbing to the traps of morality, and why (or if?) living ethically matters. Thanks!