Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moritz221

starting a short-term business

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a highschool student and have 2.5 years left in highschool. For the last 1.5 years I will be older than 18. I am thinking about starting a business on my 18th birthday and selling it after my graduation from highschool. I want to do this to earn some money for financing my studies at the University.

I am having now a lot of time to read books and inform myself about the legal steps I have to take, which market I want to get in, what product or service I want to sell, how to create a product and so on

When I am actually having the business I would have 1 hour per day and the complete weekends and 1 month vacation time to work on the business. My seed capital would be about 1000 US-$.

My question: Is it realistic to start a business and earn with that business at least 10000 US-$ in 1.5 years under my circumstances?

Thank for your help:)

PS:  excuse my english I am not a native speaker

No, it is not realistic. The hardest part of any business is the set-up.

It's like building a factory to only manufacture 100 things. If you are gonna to build a factory, you want it to manufacture 100,000,000 things. Because all the investment goes into work is in the setting up of the factory.

Starting a business that earns you $10,000 can be just as hard as starting a business that earns you $1,000,000.

Setting your sights super-low is not going to make your business that much easier. It will be a lot of hassle for little reward.

If you're starting a new business, you should expect to work 50-70 hours per week on it for the next 3 years. And even then, your success is far from guaranteed.

If all you want is $10,000, the best way to get that is through employment, not through starting your own biz. You can easily save up $10,000 from a waiter job (assuming you live in the USA) or something like freelancing (which would actually be harder because it involves you finding clients).

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Moritz221  'I am having now a lot of time to read books and inform myself about the legal steps I have to take, which market I want to get in, what product or service I want to sell, how to create a product and so on'

can you tell some of the books which has helped you?

Leo mentioned Eben Pagan in some of his videos.

This might be helpful for you: 

Edited by Alexxx