Hardik jain

I'm Over Stimulated.

4 posts in this topic

I'm a stimulus response animal. How do I change this behavior of mine? I just can be. I want some thing or the other no matter what or else I'll get extremely bored.

You need to introduce new habits like reading and meditation into your daily life. Try to stay away from TV, social media, videogames for 30 days while introducing new habits. Your brain will want to go back to the stimulus as that is where it currently feels safe and has established equilibrium. It will not be easy to make changes right away but you will need to recognize that your brain will want to go back to stimulus in order to successfully change habits.

Also, when you find yourself going back to your stimulation/instant gratification, observe yourself partaking in them as if you're a third party. Is what you're doing really worth the time and energy? Is it really making you happy and fulfilled inside?

1 hour ago, Lyn said:

Also, when you find yourself going back to your stimulation/instant gratification, observe yourself partaking in them as if you're a third party. Is what you're doing really worth the time and energy? Is it really making you happy and fulfilled inside?

This is a good point.

The pull to your minds homeostatic center is very strong. You may even consciously know the activity is counter productive but you will still feel compelled to keep going. Your mind is addicted to running those neural pathways and, like a vicious cycle, can be hard to stop.   Try small increments of fighting the resistance. Altering all your habits cold turkey is very difficult to do unless your in extreme circumstances. Make a deal yourself to do 20 minutes of something productive. Or even 10. You can do anything for 10 minutes.