Delusion

Building A Strong Work Ethic

3 posts in this topic

Recently, I have been thinking and reading about building up strong work ethics. This is something Leo mentions often in his videos, but I am not sure if he’s ever explained it in detail.

What I am particularly curious about is

1. How are study ethics and work ethics connected?
  2. Do work ethics need to be completely aligned with my values?
    For example, authenticity might be something very important to me on a personal level, but I might chose not to be authentic in certain work situations, e.g. in order to avoid a conflict. 

Here is what I am focusing on at the moment:

• Discipline and dedication, commitment to learn
  • Open-mindedness and creativity
  • Accountability and positive attitude towards my responsibilities

What are your thoughts on this subject?  How do you demonstrate a strong work ethic?

Hey Ivelina! I think many people think of work ethic as harsh discipline and being tough on yourself. But it's not really about that... A strong work ethic is founded in the values of perseverance and persistence aswell as in discipline while you are after something. 

For me having a strong work ethic is also about commitment, commiting and not quitting of course :) 

As I haven't studied the subject in depth I don't want to say anymore but yeah, to me strong work ethic=commitment and perseverance mostly. 

I think this a really interesting question and something I've spent a lot of time thinking about myself.

To answer you first question, I think that study and work ethic is the same thing. This is the basis for the entire concept of a 'life's purpose' - that you are learning within a field, within a career, that you feel passionately about. To learn about this field you must expand your knowledge to the many subjects that encompass it, and ideally more, so that you can expand even further and find your own niche. 

I'll give you a personal example. I am a teacher of languages. For this I study linguistics, anthropology, speech and delivery, organisation, student behavior, not to mentioned the technique of teaching itself, and many other things. I am an eternal student of my craft, and in that I build my work and study ethic as if it were the same thing. This can be applied to any field, career, or pursuit. Just remember; knowledge is porridge. 

Question 2 is a very difficult question. I would say that there is a time to follow along, for example when you are in the 'apprenticeship phase' of your career, learning the basics and getting to grips with the rules of the trade. There will be time to push forward with your own values and ideas once you have absorbed everything you can. This also goes hand in hand with the above because the more you are learning the more personal ideas and concepts will start to swirl in your brain, and you will be able to start bringing them to life by starting your own company or pursuing a new idea, etc.

That being said don't put yourself in a position in which the values and ethics of a company or career drastically miss-align with your own. Somebody who is an artist in their heart will not do well as a stockbroker and visa versa.