Lorelle

Problem Finding My Impact Statement

8 posts in this topic

I have a hard time finding out what impact I want to have on the world. When I am very very honest to myself, I don't care that much about other people. I do a little, because I chose to. But deep down, I don't care. I had this idea:

At the moment I just want to improve myself. I think when I master my own psychology, then I will have the natural tendency to help others doing that too. 

I have several ideas on how I want to impact the world, but they are not really meaningful to me. It's nice, when it works, but I don't care if not. I'm not emotional about them.

Do you have any advice? 

3 hours ago, Lorelle said:

I have a hard time finding out what impact I want to have on the world. When I am very very honest to myself, I don't care that much about other people. I do a little, because I chose to. But deep down, I don't care.

This is something I have thought a lot about too. Like you I don't feel a huge urge to impact the world or other people that much. I do like to help others where I can, but at the larger scale, I'm just not that inclined right now.

And it's ok, you don't have to care about the world at large or about other people particularly. It might sound selfish, but it's not like you are doing any harm to others by not 'contributing' to them. Maybe you are not ready for that yet. I can identify.

At the moment I just want to improve myself. I think when I master my own psychology, then I will have the natural tendency to help others doing that too. 

This much the same conclusion that I have come to. I think it's best to get yourself on track, work on yourself before you can think about others. You need to work out who you are, what you want and where you are going. Get your psychology mastered. Absolutely. This is what I am doing. Then, in time, you will get a better pitcure of what path you want to follow.

I have several ideas on how I want to impact the world, but they are not really meaningful to me. It's nice, when it works, but I don't care if not. I'm not emotional about them.

There is a lot of focus on 'impacting the world'. It sounds nice and noble. I suppose it is. But at the same time I see nothing fundamentally wrong with making life about you. Making it personal. Perhaps you'll decide you want to live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere just appreciating nature and reality for what it is, making no contribution to the world. That's ok. Or perhaps you'll decide to get out there and make big changes that help thousands of people. That's ok too. Either way is ok.

It is easy to feel a sense of guilt that you aren't making some contribution. As far as I see it, if you aren't doing any harm to the world then you can do whatever you want, even if it serves no purpose to society at large. Don't feel that you have to have an impact. There are no rules here. No obligations. If you do it then it has to be because you want to, not because you think you have to. Otherwise you won't be being authentic and true to yourself. That won't fulfil you.

Your life is about you at the end of the day. The same as it is for every living being. Shocking though this may sound to some people, you are not here for the benefit of others. (but you can benefit others if you have something to offer and choose to)

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

@Lorelle It`s an easy trap now a days, master yourself and you are able to help others....

But what about, by helping others you are may be helping yourself also?

It`s even a divine mission; karma-yoga. Your heart-chakra will blossom up.`Life purpose will be there...

I would recommend you just keep developing yourself and also that you keep looking for that thing that really triggers that fire inside. I assure you, when you find your passion you not only will want to impact the world with it but you will want to be the best at it and help others develop too. Keep looking, don't settle. I'm sure you will find it in no time without forcing it, the genuine drive to help others will come to you if you let it grow inside you. When you try to control any kind of tendency within yourself you will stop the progress, so just be and in no time you will see the efects :)

@Lorelle Yes, here is advice from my perspective. You could go about several ways to find a passion. I had no deep passion at first. When I started meditating I eventually became more interesting in creating music, and that expanded.

When You are fully in tune with yourself you are more authentic and there are things you want to create. I would not advise to look what you like when you were younger or logically finding it out. You change a lot, and what you were half a year ago, you are not now.

You do not have to be ashamed of being egoïc, if you are. When you are still in a social structure and are new to develloping, it becomes a good thing. Going to the gym, meditating, pickup (in a compassionate way), discivering hobby's are a good way to start.

When you are becoming more and more in tune with yourself your values will change and more things to impact the world cross your path.

But honestly I am no expert at this zone, only at my perspective. Leos Life Purpose Course will grand you a much wider range of content and ways to know more about yourself.

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

@A way to Actualize Thank you! I think thats the point. When you first start that journey, you must be selfish to find out what you truly want. This is nessecary to turn off the logical, what society wants, voice in your head. But basically I started with an impact statement that means a little to me. My mind is not used to thinking in terms of "what I want to see in the world" so I start to get it used to it. Maybe the impact, I want to have will change over the time. But I need to get used to worldthinking. 

I appreciate you all and this forum. 

7 hours ago, Lorelle said:

@A way to Actualize Thank you! I think thats the point. When you first start that journey, you must be selfish to find out what you truly want. This is nessecary to turn off the logical, what society wants, voice in your head. But basically I started with an impact statement that means a little to me. My mind is not used to thinking in terms of "what I want to see in the world" so I start to get it used to it. Maybe the impact, I want to have will change over the time. But I need to get used to worldthinking. 

I appreciate you all and this forum. 

I enjoy your question too.

last note: having a call of what You want To see in the World can Be a egoïc thing if You think the World 'needs your help'. Not that is not possible to help then, but it is really healthy when You have those desires, only it does not het in the way of other things.

that impact statement that You do not have at the moment is Just as cool as having it. When You have it, it Will be more of a Natural thing or an Idea that You just do, instead of an end goal where You have a clear sense of what You are impacting and knowing that because of You, there are many People being helped.

what I describe there is more when it is in a more healthy state.

I had once that: oh, I am going to help People and it is so selfless. But that is more really egoïc and self-deceptiv. Those ideas change of what You want To achieve or have an impact on. The better focus is to get in tune and see if something comes your path You want To create, You are doing yourself also a pleasure.

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn