Will

Low Passion, Lack Direction, Guilt?

8 posts in this topic

Today I am diggig through why I am having issues with finding my passion. I can see others here are having the same issue. So I am trying extra hard to find the underlying emotion.

what I have so far is

1. I cant make a definite decision on my passion and go for it.
  2. There is some feeling that is preventing me from making a commitment
  3. I have no problem making a commitment in other areas of my life
  4. a belief has pooped up around inequality in life, why should I think about having more and better when soo many other are suffering
  5. which lead to me thinking about why am I judging the world as having unfortunate and fortunate people. straight away this put me under enormous pressure to justify  my position and feel guilty about having such a great life..
  6. I fight back against this by countr justifying that In the big picture life needs to have inequality to function. I just have to choose which side of the line I choose to sit..
  7. This brought to my conclusion of what paths I can choose
  • Sit and do nothing like I have for the past years of my life and just try to cling on to this comfortable life
  • give it all away and try and balance up the inequality ( I think this is ridiculous as I would be miserable because I offer such low value to those around me)
  • Find some middle ground and work on myself a bit and dedicate myself a little more to equality..
  • go all out and be the best I can be regardless of the world around me and hope I would make a greater direct and indirect contribution than if I was to do the other options..

To be honest I think trying to makes things more equal is kinda like trying to tell the universe it does not have the balance right..

The middle path  seems to tick most boxes, but it does not feel right ( I have not dug deeply enough into it to know if it is a logical basis or an emotional one)

The going all out seems like the best one but I feel like I am waiting for someone to tell me that being the best I can be is the best way to go..

Has anyone else got any similar experience or has been able to get past this ??

Its hard to make a decision, kinda feeling like confusion ..

1.Watch more of Leo's videos and try starting an enlightenment routine.

2. Also, read : So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport.

Come back here after you have completed these two steps.

Edited by Saitama

In addition to the two good suggestions from Saitama above, you might also try Leo's Ultimate Life Purpose course.

@Will check out benjamin smythe's videos (

) don't stop with one video, he has many number of videos, he has made a video related to the feelings that you have. And by the way, ben's videos are worth the time. 

Edited by zenny

@Will 

1. passion!( which area of life does this refer to). If passion refers to career, then, Let it flow and let the passion reach you. In the mean time, try to figure out what you are good at, and develop passion towards it. See where your interest lies and develop some passion towards it. Yes, at times we have to develop passion step by step.

2.it happens at times. Make sure that you are doing things that are aligned with your choices , values, feelings etc. try to Decide what you want to do next and try taking some everyday steps towards it. Develop some interest towards it. It need not be something big. It can even be a new habit that you want to form. If one area of life is not working out, try working on rest, like , get busy meditating, eat good stuff, read more books, exercise or do some physical activity that you like doing,(like dancing) etc. In the mean time, you might get some answers along the way.

4. The aim should lie in providing comfortable life for everyone , as much as possible. This doesn't mean that you have to stop taking care of yourself in a good way.

5.Life is unfair! ,but, This doesn't mean that you have drop your comforts. Do what you can to help someone without losing your comfortable live. While donating blood, they don't take all blood from one person and give it to another. They don't kill the donor by taking away all blood of his/her. they take blood in a way that doesn't hurt the donor, right. in the same way, do your best, without loosing your comforts and leave the rest.

6.you don't have to make a choice. DO your best work and leave it. In what way your work is utilized can be controlled by you to an extent.But, really ,just do your best work to help yourself and others and leave the rest. try not to worry much about things that you don't have control over. 

Don't worry bro, even i worry a lot about such things. There are humans around this planet ,who are trying to bring in many good changes to the system( economic, political, scientific etc). In the end, we can just doo our best and leave the rest .

10 hours ago, Saitama said:

1.Watch more of Leo's videos and try starting an enlightenment routine.

2. Also, read : So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport.

oh oh!. That sounds ominous,, haha I have been devouring everything I can get my hands on for the last 8 months.. I have been dragging my feet on the Purpose course too only upto 7th run through values assessment..  I get bogged down in wanting to really feel it and understand it..

Ill get the so good they cant ignore you done next week i would say. I love audible.!!

@zenny Thanks for that I have not heard of Ben!! 

Thanks also for some more tips, I especially resonate with the part about the world is not fair.. I get a pretty deep sense that the world is neither fair nor unfair.. "It    just    is".. I ... Guess I am still trying to unlearn :) 

Maybe today is one of those days when it just seems far off..

I will  focus over the next week or so on getting more of the life purpose course done and keep putting one foot in front of the other.. 

4 hours ago, zenny said:

On 04/03/2016 at 1:46 AM, Will said:

which lead to me thinking about why am I judging the world as having unfortunate and fortunate people. straight away this put me under enormous pressure to justify  my position and feel guilty about having such a great life..

There is no sense in this line of thinking. Yes, there are 'less fortunate' people in the world. There are also always going to be more fortunate people than you. But if you choose to be less fortunate yourself because you feel guilty, then what actually changes? It does nothing to change the situation for the less fortunate people. It just makes you feel better about yourself. And these less fortunate people don't ven know you or that you are comparing yourself to them. If you were more fortunate it would make no difference to them, they won't even know about it. Even if they did, you would just be another more fortunate person like every other one. Do you think they would expect you to lower your quality of life just because you feel guilty? If they did that would be selfishness on their part.

The whole concept of fortunate vs less-fortunate is all labelling anyway. No matter how fortunate you think you are it can change in the blink of an eye. It's only an illusion. It has no real meaning in reality. Things are as they are. Different people around the world live in different conditions. That's just a reality. It has always been this way and will always be.

Each of us has to live our own lives independently of what else is happening in reality. But there's nothing stop us from helping or contributing to that reality. Taking steps to change it. And to do that you need be 'more fortunate' in the first place to have the leverage to make that impact.

There is no point feeling guilting and limiting your own growth. It helps noone, especially yourself. It ultimately won't change the reality for the less fortunate people. It will just be you personally sitting there feeling that way. It serves no purpose. You could on the other hand even 'use' that guilt to do something constructive. 

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

@FindingPeace Cheers for that..

Its great to get other perspectives. I realise its useless to think like this .. I am just digging around in these concepts to get a better understanding..

If you have any methods or excercises for actually experimenting and seeing it first hand or if you have any experiences yourself that would be great too..

Thanks again!!