Tao-izm

7-day solo retreat

3 posts in this topic

I am a 22 year old man currently studying philosophy at university in Norway, I'm living in a house with 6 other students but during Easter holidays, which is in about 2 weeks from now, I've learned that everyone will be leaving for the holidays, that means the house will be standing empty for 7 days. I'm ceasing this opportunity to try doing a solo meditation retreat.

I've never done a solo retreat before. I did however do a Vipassana 10 day meditation retreat last summer, which was an interesting experience, but ultimately disappointing. I felt like i didn't really get anything out of it until after it was done and i was released back into my everyday life.

While i was doing the retreat, i wasn't particularly struggling with restlessness or boredom, which is why I'm confident that ill be able to keep myself from being distracted off doing my meditation, Regardless of me doing it in my own room situated in domestic street just outside the city.  Also there not being anyone else in the house will make things much easier.

I have planned 4 meals throughout the day, breakfast: oatmeal, lunch: Leo's super healthy vegetable soup, dinner: a bowl of rice and some eggs, evening snack: some fruits. 6 hours of sleep should be sufficient.

My main technique is Anapana sati breath meditation, and i intend on making that the bulk of my meditation practice. So that will be 8 hours of formal meditation sits spread throughout the day. I'm thinking of starting a Kundalini practice this week, as soon as i get the book i ordered (kundalini book from Leo's book list). should i be continuing to do Kundalini during the retreat? or will this potentially disrupt my meditation?

Also i am considering capping the retreat off with a psychedelic trip, lsd to be exact, as i have a friend who i just learned actually has some lsd on him, i might be able to buy a blotter from him. Does this sound like a good idea?

Are there any other methods that you deem necessary for me to integrate into this retreat? or will Kundalini and breath meditation suffice? how should i be treating the resting periods? how long should they be? how many should i have? could reading a book be disruptive? maybe i will have to have one of my roommates lock in all my shit in their room before they leave.

One last thing. I'm not really sure how this retreat will play out for me, the last 6 months of my life i felt a stronger pull towards doing pickup than i have doing consciousness work. I feel like the most necessary  growth i need is through doing pickup, but i find myself struggling to really start doing it consistently. I have internal blockages that are prohibiting me from taking my game to the next step. I guess my question here is this, should my main motivation going in to this retreat be on working on my psyche(ego) or should i be aiming for enlightenment?

any advice would be very welcomed

thanks.

I'm impressed that you're focusing on personal growth at your young age......good job, wow! As far as the LSD goes, I think it sounds like a fine idea, as long as it sounds like a good idea to YOU. Don't do it just because you think it's "next on the list" type of thing in your development. 

I think it might be a good idea, I'm not really sure to be honest. I have taken LSD before, so i do have some tripping experience under my belt, but I've never had any spiritual insight or mystical experience that so many people report having. I'm guessing by the end of the retreat if i was to take LSD, something revealing about my consciousness would happen, although one can never be to certain when it comes to taking a psychedelic.