Keri

Self Awareness-meditation-enlightment

13 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me the basic process of these 3 for a beginner?  I'm a little unclear as to the differences. Thanks in advance...:D

Can someone tell me what the basic process is for each of these please? I'm a little unclear how and where to start practicing each. Or are they all the same? Thanks you in advance.:D

@Keri One is a consecuence of the other. First comes meditation, then self awareness and then enlightenment.

@Keri 

There are several ways to practice meditation. One way to meditate is to simply to become aware of your own thoughts. Just close your eyes, relax your body and observe your thoughts as they arise. The idea is not to resist your thoughts or judge them, just observe them and let them pass. This is very simple and yet very powerful because by observing your thoughts you become aware that you are not your thoughts, you are the one who is aware of your thoughts. You also learn to let your thoughts pass without attaching your attention to them. When you give your attention to a thought you give it more energy. By letting thoughts pass you can rise above them. Its like looking at a river from a bridge. The stream can be raging below and yet you can remain calm letting the river flow below us.

Another way to meditate is to focus your awareness on something else like your breath, your body sensations or music. By focusing your attention on something else than your thoughts you take away their energy. This gradually reduced and eventually momentarily eliminates the flow of thoughts from your mind.

Another way to meditate is to focus your awareness inwards, on yourself. The ultimate goal is to become aware of your own awareness.

• Self-awareness
    • Being present and aware of your thoughts, emotions, perceptions, actions, and reactions.
  • Meditation
    • Pretty much the same thing as self-awareness, but usually done sitting still. There are different variations of it.
  • Enlightenment
    • No idea. Supposedly it's when you know the truth about reality or something.
Edited by Grasshopper

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:
  • Enlightenment
    • No idea. Supposedly it's when you know the truth about reality or something.

Enlightenment work is the process of discovering through direct experience what is true and what is not, beginning with your self. There are a few methods, but for starters you could check Leo's video on the Self Inquiry process:

Philosophy defines truth as eternal. Because what is there to learn about what will die away anyways?

Edited by charlie cho

10 hours ago, werlight said:

@Keri 

There are several ways to practice meditation. One way to meditate is to simply to become aware of your own thoughts. Just close your eyes, relax your body and observe your thoughts as they arise. The idea is not to resist your thoughts or judge them, just observe them and let them pass. This is very simple and yet very powerful because by observing your thoughts you become aware that you are not your thoughts, you are the one who is aware of your thoughts. You also learn to let your thoughts pass without attaching your attention to them. When you give your attention to a thought you give it more energy. By letting thoughts pass you can rise above them. Its like looking at a river from a bridge. The stream can be raging below and yet you can remain calm letting the river flow below us.

Another way to meditate is to focus your awareness on something else like your breath, your body sensations or music. By focusing your attention on something else than your thoughts you take away their energy. This gradually reduced and eventually momentarily eliminates the flow of thoughts from your mind.

Another way to meditate is to focus your awareness inwards, on yourself. The ultimate goal is to become aware of your own awareness.

12 hours ago, Keri said:

Can someone tell me what the basic process is for each of these please? I'm a little unclear how and where to start practicing each. Or are they all the same? Thanks you in advance.:D

@Keri There is an app. called mindfulness. You can download it from the app store.. its a good starting point to start meditation.

Good luck, ?

@Keri I feel my first answer was somewhat lacking. Leo has great videos that address these topics. I'd suggest starting with those.

Leo has a great video on meditation here: 

Drelamore's post above is a good definition of the enlightenment process. That is a good place to start.

Self-awareness is basically paying attention to how your mind, body, and emotions work. All of Leo's videos on "mastering your emotions" serve as good references on the subject: 

There area also books that teach practices for raising your self-awareness, which helps with the meditation, enlightenment, and basically every aspect of your life. The Power of Now teaches some great skills for self-awareness. I'd recommend it. Another one I've read is The Miracle of Mindfulness, which is a more Buddhist style approach to self-awareness.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you Grasshopper!!!! 

Thank you Werlight!!!

Watch yourself. and dont worry about enlightenment. pay attention to happens in your head :) just putting your attention on it.