Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Henri

Seva, What Are You Doing For Your Neighbour?

1 post in this topic

Doing service, also called Seva, is considered to be an essential tool in the spiritual developing process. 

Next to knowledge (jnana), meditation (raja) and love (bhakti), service (karma) is one of the four limbs of spiritual developing.

But it is a topic not really well discussed on this site though I found that Leo thinks it is of most importance after I saw a video of him.

`Your service is your inner attitude, not the action.

To take is the nature of animals. To give and take is the nature of human beings. To give without taking is the nature of the Divine. Through giving, we grow in divinity.

Kept to ourselves, our happiness will become stagnant and fade away. To increase our joy we must share joy with others. Giving is essential for spiritual growth. A willingness to share what we have and to help others is called seva.

Seva is our own inner joy pouring forth into action. It is not a compulsion, duty or uncomfortable obligation, but instead a natural state of mind that is poised to offer what is needed according to time, place and situation. Seva connects us to others and makes them a part of us. The barriers dissolve that separate our happiness from their happiness. Lingering moods of unhappiness or depression dissipate when our focus is on helping someone else. We come to realize that the true measure of our lives is not how much we have gained for ourselves, but how much we have given to others.

We can serve others in endless ways by using our own creativity and imagination. When one looks for opportunities, it is easy to locate small ways to help even amidst busy daily routines.

Seva is love in action,`

So my question to all of you is in what way you are being in service, or doing seva, for your neighbour, the society and the world?  All personal experiences can be a great inspire to others.