Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
h inandout

Consciousness Instructor/ Social Facilitator

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I made it my goal to teach a few workshops in mid-January here in Colorado before I go back to California to finish my Clinical Ayurveda classes.  I have so many images in my head of potential topics and activities, that it gets really overwhelming, so I guess that's where the work is gonna be.  There's also so many different types of venues, but none that really cater to freelance consciousness instructors :P  I'll just have to try a whole bunch of stuff until I can find a niche!  

Here are the classes I have in the works so far:

Natural Grocers Ayurvedic Cooking demo:  Natural Grocers gives you $100 in ingredients just to teach at their stores.  Originally I wanted to teach and elemental healing workshop, but they really want you to have completed credentials before you teach a purely educational class.  So cooking demo it is!  

Curiosity Workshop:  This one is gonna be more like a fun psychological exploration class.  We will do activities around 4 types of curiosity: material, internal, social, and metaphysical.  Still don't have a venue yet.  I don't think I'm ready for the hip coffee shops downtown, but any other venue might also not attract enough people, so I guess that's where the research is!

I also wanna make sure I have some fucking fantastic eye-popping flyers before these events go down.  

I don't have a plan to make money yet.  I will offer people free 1-hr Ayurvedic Pulse consultations because I need to do more of those to get my student hours.  I'm kind of in a trap with Ayurveda.  I need significantly more money to finish my schooling just to get the basic Ayurvedic Counselor's license.  I can't really get my feet on the ground until then.  I guess the main purpose of these events would be to continue testing the waters to see where people are the most ready for my variety of healing work.  Perhaps I can offer Reiki for money, but I still feel silly doing Reiki.  I think these conciousness classes are a good bet for me, but I definitely need to pair it with finishing up my Ayurvedic education with either massage therapy training or yoga teacher training.  And that's where my major road block is.  The jobs that are currently available to me don't pay nearly enough to save up for those certifications.  No I cannot just do a GoFundMe.  I think maybe what I'm anticipating is that as I start teaching these classes, I'll gain psychic momentum, and find clever new ways of manifesting more of them, as well as more ideas and more friends/potential future clients.

Just talked to an Ayurvedic practitioner, and she really clarified for me that in order to take care of myself financially, a massage license is step one.  Forget about yoga, forget about nutrition and herbs, for now.  And get that license.  THEN I can continue my education by taking classes and going to conferences.  Now that I have an action item, the plan will fall into place as quickly as it is meant to.  I have to secure some employment (teach ESL with VIPKID $20/hr), and then I can start to consider asking for financial help from my family, if it becomes clear that a massage job would help me stabilize my debt and align with my vision faster.  Yes, I wanted to help people through singing the first time I took the LP course.  But who says KIRTAN isn't going to be a part of my life, even as a massage practitioner?

Taught a "Recipes from Ayurveda" class at a Natural Grocers.  People came with great questions, good interest and health skepticism.  We made Dhal and cabbage salad and they were the bomb.  People enjoyed the way I involved them in the cooking process.  Next time I need to make sure I print some literature and recipes before hand.  My nervous system is on fire, and next time I need to have a full liter of coconut milk to hydrate during the lesson.  The only negative feedback I got was pretty helpful stuff, but mostly everybody loved it.  I am totally addicted to this, but I really need to figure out how to make money at it!