The White Belt

Tricking myself about my results?

1 post in this topic

I've been meditating and practicing mindfulness for 1-2 years now.

The first year was pretty on/off, but the second year i haven't missed a single day of meditation and mindfulness has been pretty consistent.

Sometimes i'm really proud of myself, what i've done and the changes i've seen within myself. 

I used to be super ignorant. I thought I knew it all. My concentration was sucky and I'd have a new hobby every few weeks and did no PD.

Now because the change is so radical, and it's hard for me to imagine the old me, that he even existed, maybe I think my consciousness is higher

than it actually is.

See on the day to day I see people acting very unconsciously, but then I see the same behaviors in me and I think maybe I haven't gone as far as I think.

You see I forget things a lot... I work in a coffee shop and often i'll start to make a drink and forget what i'm even making. Whereas my co-worker knows all of the regular customer's drinks before they ask, I don't - Even if they come in every single day. 

Where as I start projects and within a month my ego is desperately trying to find excuses to quit (mostly 'spiritual bypassing' type excuses), I see people seemingly being able to stick to something for years. These people that I know do little or no consciousness work.

So should I mentally set myself further back than what I seem to award myself? And say that to even get to the normal intelligent persons level of consciousness, even when they don't do consciousness work, I need to keep at it and work hard?  

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki