chris_crunch

Restoring Energy Levels

5 posts in this topic

After a weekend or hard partying or little sleep, on Monday morning work can be pretty tough as you feel your body is simply just tired.

How do we repair this- I want to make it clear I'm not looking for quick fixes like stimulants or energy drinks, as that doesn't exactly solve the problem.

What is actually going on, and concisely what can I give my body to help it naturally recover itself? A cup of coffee, good carbohydrate rich meals... what vitamins/mineral supplements should I take, if any- basically how can you aid your body to compensate for the poor eating/lack of sleep that you may have experienced for 1-2 days?

Whatever you do, you have to accept the consequences.

You can`t run away from them...

Otherwise it`s mostly a matter of time.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. 

If someone stabs you in the chest, you can either focus on avoiding such instances in the future, or you can focus on the mechanics of repairing in the now. In reality, both are needed... and it is mainly a spectrum rather than one of the other really.

Anyway, you seem to be focusing on the former a little much. Perhaps you thought the antithesis of me, again I'm sure the reality is different, but I have not gained any useful information by the general way you have answered my question!

@chris_crunch Let me try to expand on what @Henri said and give some suggestions.  Yes, there are consequences for your actions, as you've stated.  Knowing that though, what I try to do is be strategically well slept and nourished so that when I want to stay up late or do other things that are not the best for me, my body is well rested and fed and can easily handle the additional stress without experiencing too many negative side effects.

Sure, you are going to stay up late, drink, eat crappy food once in a while.  What are you doing the other 6 days/nights of the week?  Are you eating a high quality diet that primarily consists of good energy sources (like beans, rice, lentils, oats, fruits and vegetables)  and getting 8+ hours of sleep? Probably not.  If you take good care of yourself 90% of the time, your body shouldn't have any trouble dealing with the occasional night of fun.  Where you run into problems is when you skimp on sleep/nutrition throughout the week AND party on the weekends (little sleep, bad food, alcohol).

Hopefully this helps.

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

On 22.2.2016 at 9:48 PM, Phocus said:

If you take good care of yourself 90% of the time, your body shouldn't have any trouble dealing with the occasional night of fun.  Where you run into problems is when you skimp on sleep/nutrition throughout the week AND party on the weekends (little sleep, bad food, alcohol).

I think so too. From time to time I only sleep 3-4 hours (once or twice a week), because I'm going out with friends/my boyfriend late at night. I often have to work the other day. Basically what I do is quite simple:

• make sure my body is well nourished (food + water)

• sleeping more next night

• take a nap after work (15-20 mins)