Erlend K

Start A The Science Of Happiness Study Group?

2 posts in this topic

Hey fellow self-actualizers!

This week the US Berkley Greater Good center has started it's annual free edX course on The Science of Happiness.

Has anyone else here signed up for it? If you haven't, I would deeply recommend signing up. It is a very practical course that goes through all the main findings of contemporary research on what makes people feel happy, and what makes life feel meaningful. They also give "homework" in the form of happiness boosting practices/techniques. They have carefully picked the practices that have been most consistently proven to be effective for most people. These include "3 Good Things", "Gratitude Letter", Random Acts of Kindness, etc.

The graphs below show the reported effects on participants from a previous year, both directly after finishing the course and three months later, compared with before starting the course:

Graph2-Science-of-Happiness.jpg

The video below is a 2 min explanation of what the course is all about:

It would be cool if someone would be interested in starting a study group. We could discuss  practical ways to implement the content in our lives.

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

Hello Erlend K,

I signed up for the course. Previously I have done an 8 week course on Mindfulness which helped me understand a lot about myself and the concept itself.

I'll be away for a few weeks in October and won't have an internet connection. I'll have to catch up later on. I'd be interested in sharing and discussing (maybe on a weekly basis?). I do most of the work online and alone, I like the idea of a classmate! Please let me know how you want to do this.

Best, Serazer