Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
framu

Change Meditation Habit?

3 posts in this topic

I am living at a Theravada monetary this weekend. I got some guidance from the main monk here. For the past two months my meditation practice haven't gone very well. I had an very intense experience around Christmas while meditating. The same day and day after I felt exceptionally great. Three weeks afterwards I got a chronic pressure in my forehead. While I had this pressure I was unable to concentrate properly. So I cut down on my practice to 30 minutes a day and started focusing on the breath instead of the thoughts (which I earlier learned in one of Leo's videos).

I talked to this monk and he told me the following problems:

- The experience I earlier had, made me want to get it back which was a hinderance in my practice.
- I had the headpressure because I focused in my head.

He told me the solution was:

- Widen the focus on my meditation object.
- Find a different meditation practice which didn't focus in the head.
- Not force the concentration to much.
- Not to expect anything of my meditation.

So to my question, does anyone have a meditation practice they would recommend? (Have tried samatha. It worked a bit, but I want to try different styles)
Have anybody experienced what I have, and how long before the problem subsides?

2 hours ago, framu said:

I know the problem of having a lot of pressure in your head while meditating. Basically you're forcing to much, just let it go. I can really recommend the "Do Nothing"-technique that Leo discussed in one of his videos. This should let you relax a little and just give in. B|

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

3 hours ago, framu said:

Three weeks afterwards I got a chronic pressure in my forehead. While I had this pressure I was unable to concentrate properly.

Yeah, I know this feeling well (if it is what I think it is.) Speaking from my experience, it indeed happens when I'm trying too much. Usually after series of sits that felt good, when I'm trying my best to keep it up. I've noticed I'm always puckering my brow when trying too hard and that presumably causes the pressure feeling. It's a signal to relax and remind myself that whatever happens is good and there is no need to force anything or to strive for "good" results. Good result is anything that comes. It takes a while to get used to this approach, but it's well worth it.

- Not force the concentration to much.
- Not to expect anything of my meditation.

Exactly, in my opinion these two points are crucial. Just relax and welcome whatever comes and realise that every sit moves you forward, even when you feel it was absolutely useless.

Read it all, tried it all, can't remember any of it.