Michael569

Power Of Journaling

1 post in this topic

I wanted to share a short story where Journaling  helped me overcome a lot of anxiety, I was feeling about particular event. Though that maybe it would motivate someone to try the habit for themselves. 

I had a particular conference call at work that I felt anxious about without really realising why. The attendance was quite executive and since I was the one to lead it, I could hardly sleep the night before. Even meditation didn't help. 

So an hour prior to it, I took my journal where I only recently started adding daily contributions which so far didn't make much sense to me and typed: "Why am I so anxious about this"? As I started stating reasons and breaking one by one down into details, I realised that I was afraid of being ridiculed by people on the other side of the world that don't give a **** about me and that I don't give a **** about, yet I cared what they would think of me at that particular time.  Getting this realisation , I though how stupid it is and that it is my ego feeling threatened and I started to feel my panic dissipating. I approached the call calm and prepared and it all went well. In the end it wasn't as painful as i though it to be. 90% of the fear was gone. 

So this showed me one of particular examples where Journaling can be powerful, just by putting the mess in your mind on a  piece of paper. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus