Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
randomancer

How Does Personality Type Relate To Life Purpose?

1 post in this topic

Hello guys and girls,

Been following Leo for a while and I interpret his stance on being employed vs being your own employer, that anyone who wants to fully self actualize must run ones own business. The last thing I would ever want is to be stuck at a 9-5 job which I don't enjoy going to.

I don't know what the general stance here is on the bearing of "personality types", whether one should fully embrace the characteristics that come naturally or focus on improving the other ones. Now, there are some different theories about this, for example MBTI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Briggs_Type_Indicator), but to keep this short we stick to a few basics.

I am currently 24 and soon starting my master's degree in business & economics. On the journey of self improvement I ran across the personality types and a lot started to make a lot of sense, and also made me further contemplate my future. While a lot of the attributes differ depending on the situation, and there are indeed a lot of grey scales, I do strongly identify with the kind of personality that likes to be methodical and analytical as opposed to being spontaneous and creative. I view this as a strength, as I naturally and truly enjoy things like working in Excel, tracking performance, making graphs and forecasts etc. For example I overly track my progress in the gym (which is a passion), with percentages, total volume per movement, key ratios like strength per bodyweight, doing graphs and forecasts etc, not because it necessarily gives me better results but for the sake of enjoyment. The other side of the coin that usually comes with these traits, though, is that I am naturally very non-creative and want to know things work before I test them. (Side note: I am not super introverted, rather social, charismatic and make people laugh a lot, perhaps uncommon for the type?)

Anyway, to the point. Right now my goal is becoming a business controller, and possibly CFO in the future. However, I don't want to be unhappy "climbing the corporate ladder", but want to feel fulfilled and actualized. Creating some innovative product and being an entrepreneur right now feels so inauthentic to me. Do you have any thoughts on what path I could take? Thinking of maybe working hard, gaining experience as a business controller in a large company and then become CFO of a smaller start-up company?

Very grateful for any input/thoughts/experiences!
/R