Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrTelepath

If I Can't Manipulate Reality Then What Is Magick?

1 post in this topic

I'm going to try to make this thread as detailed as possible. In Esoteric Philosophy there's the topic regarding the difference between a Mystic and an Occultist which is a bit confusing when comparing the information I've gathered from other sources to what's said on the forum here.

" Occultism is an experience of conflict whereby the person practicing it is attempting to control something or learn something that they shouldn’t know, while those who practice mysticism are striving to exist in harmony and peace with the greater world."

Quote Source: https://knowledgenuts.com/occultism-vs-mysticism/#

"Magick Is The Science and Art of causing change in conformity with will." - Aleister Crowley

“There are two Paths to the Innermost: the Way of the Mystic, which is the way of devotion and meditation, a solitary and subjective path; and the way of the occultist, which is the way of the intellect, of concentration, and of trained will; upon this path the co-operation of fellow workers is required, firstly for the exchange of knowledge, and secondly because ritual magic plays an important part in this work, and for this the assistance of several is needed in most of the greater operations. The mystic derives his knowledge through the direct communion of his higher self with the Higher Powers; to him the wisdom of the occultist is foolishness, for his mind does not work in that way; but, on the other hand, to a more intellectual and extrovert type, the method of the mystic is impossible until long training has enabled him to transcend the planes of form. We must therefore recognize these two distinct types among those who seek the Way of Initiation, and remember that there is a path for each.” - Dion Fortune, Esoteric Orders and Their Work and The Training and Work of the Initiate

Based on all the work I've read regarding Occult Philosophy, my definition of "Magick" is "The Use Of Altered States Of Consciousness To Influence Probability", though you can make a reasonable argument for why that might not be the case. I think it's safe for me to say that the work we do here revolves around The Path of the Mystic in terms of some of the info I've presented above out of many I've come across throughout the years.

There's a few things that are really starting to confuse me when it comes to the feedback I get on here in comparison to all the other things I've learned about Esotericism. One of them is how some people on the forum have mentioned that even, though, I'm GOD that doesn't mean I'll be able to control or manipulate material existence. My question to that is "Where does The Occult and the topic of Magick fit into all of that?"