-
Content count
697 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by PsychedelicEagle
-
π―; also full of PFAS depending on how it's packaged.
-
Ultimately only you can answer this. If you outsource this decision, you open room to feel betrayed, because it was ultimately not you who chose what is acceptable or not. It requires deep connection with your own emotions, assertiveness, courage to deal with the consequences of enforcing your boundaries. A key paradigm in assertiveness is that you are responsible for how you feel, and that has higher priority than trying to manage how others feel. So focus on how you feel first and foremost. You are not responsible for how other people feel or to manage their expectations. Let people reach out to you and only help when it makes you feel good. Over time that will help to stop seeing yourself as a victim and open room for less-resentful connections. Ultimately social connections are about survival. So everyone is interacting with other people for selfish reasons β that is fine. That's the reason why I'm in this forum btw: to learn something from other people, and to share what I know because that makes ME feel good. If someone asks something from you: Ask yourself: do I truly feel like helping at this moment? Think it through β take time to reply. If you feel pressured, just say straight up: I need time to evaluate if I can help here. If they keep pressuring you, the default is to not help. Whether helping or not, communicate clearly what it is that you can or can't contribute with respectfully and assertively. TIP: The smoother and the more respectfully you enforce your boundaries, the easier it is to hold them long term. If you overreact (e.g., angry response due to accumulated feelings), you may feel guilty and tend to downcompensate next time you interact with the person, which makes it harder for them to understand your needs and where you're coming from. The nice thing is when you openly and clearly communicate your needs you'll see that more often than not people are willing to help. If they aren't, then it's a red flag.
-
More generally: the sterilization paradigm of the 20th century. The more-functional, less-conformist approach would be microbial ecology rather than microbial warfare.
-
Also: tattoos.
-
Using toothpaste Using deodorant with fragrances Using hair gel Btw, funny story: when I was 10 I realized that toothpaste was able to hold my hair in place better than most hair gels, so I started using it. I said this once in the classroom and a guy also having quiff hair made fun of me. Next day I spot him with a long solidified white mark on his quiff β it was toothpaste.
-
For me, the key has been to leverage psychedelics on top of a strong spiritual, epistemological, and psychological foundation. The Actualized.org channel gave me many of those pillars, which is what let me use psychedelics relatively safely (there are always risks) for trauma healing and for personal and spiritual growth. That said, content alone isn't enough β you still have to do the personal work yourself. On the personal-growth side specifically, psychedelics let me take insights I already understood rationally and bring them down to the level of feeling and emotion, which is where behavior actually comes from. That's what makes them such a profound tool for change. I quit drinking, reshaped my relationship with my parents, moved into new jobs, and became more authentic β all of it catalyzed by psychedelic work. And there's still so much more to explore and learn.
-
Strong income depends on you being So Good They Can't Ignore You. Software, data and/or AI engineering pays well nowadays, I work in the field. I also like the idea that you can bridge your passion for music with it. But you gotta find projects and goals that keep you motivated so you can maintain deliberate practive over years. To really become good at something β even if at a narrow field within the broader field of CS β probably finding muscial projects or ways in which software supports music, and learning the hell out of it β all the bits and pieces that are required for whatever intersection between software and music you find meaningful. When you enter a new field, expect it to take 10y to develop complete mastery over it; only by then you'll have acquired the skills to give you great perks career and compensation wise. There are no shortcuts. If you work hard you can shorten that time a bit, but 10y is a realistic timeframe. I did. When I was 24 I quit my job and started working as a web programmer and I only started a masters in CS when I was 26. I had a deep passion for AI and cognitive sciences and I pursued it. I'm now 10y down the road and I will never regret making that move, as it opened so many opportunities: moving to Europe, working at different and interesting companies, doing something I enjoy. I'm now at the point where I want to focus more on stage green projects and deepen my spirituality, but the past 10y have been the foundation for what's next. Sounds like a good approach. The skills you acquire will be valuable down the road. Cal Newport was def onto something when he wrote that book.
-
I'd only use minimalistic and PFAS-free perfumes. Currently I use no perfumes and still get dates so I'm not using it. But I appreciate most people care about the smell only and that's it. What type of perfume maker would you be?
-
Great perspective. However, I want to make the point that, developmentally, maturity is required for wisdom. So we can frame your example as (internal) maturity leading to the wisdom that spontaneity and adopting externally-looking immature behavior is the appropriate action on the right time and circumstances. Wdyt?
-
I've been using Obsidian for a while and happy with it. The seamless integration across phone (obsidian app on ios/android) and computer was what made me stick to it. When I'm traveling I just pull up my phone and boom β all notes in there. I'm also an Emacs user so I can edit Obsidian notes in Emacs when on the computer. Which allows me to leverage all the advanced text-editing shortcuts, Markdown formatting commands, etc.
-
Haha, I read the first pages and ditched it away. Bryan's epistemology is child-like. And this comes from a non-hater.
-
Depends on your goals. Are you planning on adding milk to your diet only to hit Ca levels? Or, do you have additional goals?
-
Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet. Cut off all processed junk, including all refined foods (white rice, white bread, butter and nut butters, cheese, etc., can all be seen as refined foods). Only consume foods in their closest-to-original form.
-
Great recommendation. Also always great to use the minimally-effective dose, weigh the substance appropriately, and make sure it's pure. The last time I did it was more a year ago, a single 100mg of MDMA, and that was WOW. I probably could have gotten away with even less, perhaps 80mg. Mescaline is also very similar to MDMA for me and without neurotoxicity concerns. Something to look into.
-
Great video, one of the few I don't remember seeing before. That is the type of mindset required to build something like Actualized.org.
-
i have the same! Great battery life.
-
Really cool! I will try it out.
-
The problem with milk is it's one of the youngest staples introduced in the human diet (only 8k years ago). It works well for some people but badly for others. It has to be individualized. It also has nutrients one may want to avoid, depending on their goals and nutrition philosophy. Leaving aside environmental issues. I drank milk my entire life yet was diagnosed with osteopenia a decade ago (while still drinking it daily). One single food is not a guarantee. Also, a modern Holstein cow produces 5β10x more milk than it normally would feeding a single cattle, making Ca supplementation required to keep the cow relatively healthy for modern milk production β the cow can't naturally get the amount of Ca required from diet alone. So you're either supplementing directly or indirecly; supplementing the cow requires 3x more Ca than supplementing the human. Also, for curiosity: most Ca supplements come from limestone β most of it formed on the floors of ancient seas over tens to hundreds of millions of years β a chunk of it from seashells and bones of marine animals. So at the end of the day the Ca we drink or supplement is coming from these ancient sea creatures
-
I def can; I'm just saying we don't know that for sure. When it comes to health, I prefer to not risk it on something that may or may not be reliable. In my case for example I was deficient and not craving Ca-rich foods, so at least for me it's unreliable.
-
Def true for things like sodium and water, but I guess we can't assume this for Ca. Mechanistically, Ca deficiency is silent: blood calcium drops make PTH rise, pulling Ca from bone, so there's no acute signal. The deficit usually shows up decades later as bone loss. Ca deficiency is a long-term problem, whereas Na deficiency kills in days. Of course the signal could come from different ways and perhaps even from PTH, but notice the craving hypothesis is an assumption we can't take for granted. If that would be the case perhaps we'd have way less people with nutrient deficiency. Also, notice that modern ultraprocessed foods completely hijack the sensing mechanisms so people can go decades consuming empty calories without adjusting for nutrient deficiency, so even if it exists it's a somewhat weak and vulnerable system.
-
I guess my Mg and Oxalate intake is what makes me require that much extra Ca from supplements. Or something about how my body absorbs it.
-
Haha I guess heβll soon come around. Related to frutarianism or frugivorism, Iβve got the Ca deficit diagnosis while on a fruit-heavy diet. Nowadays, most of my carbs still come from fruits. Iβve just decided to supplement. Below you can see the average daily intake of Ca associated to each food. I eat pretty much all of those daily.
-
Excluding supplements, I hit these values for minerals. It is possible, but as I mentioned above it may not be enough... Each person's metabolism is different. Notice that some of my target values are even increased β customized to be even higher than what the RDA would suggest.
-
Another thing to consider is number of meals/day. Ca absorption saturates at around 400mg, so if you only eat, e.g., twice daily, your fractional Ca absorption drops making the total absorption lower compared to eating more times a day.
-
The key is to track calcium markers such as PTH, serum Ca and P, 25-OH-Vit-D, 24h urinary Ca, among others. On Cronometer, I eat 1000mg+ of Ca from diet daily and ~400mg Oxalate. Yet, I was Ca deficient, with elevated PTH and low serum P. I discovered I need to supplement 600-1000mg on top of that, reaching an estimated total intake of 1600-2000mg to hit the PTH and urinary Ca excretion targets I'm after. A blood test like this followed by appropriate intervention can save one from osteoporosis and fractures 30 years down the road.
