Leo's Blog: Infinite Insights — Page 26
A new fossil of an anatomically modern human has been discovered in Israel which significantly changes our understanding of homo sapiens.
This is a really exciting development! Along with other recent archeological discoveries, the timeline of modern humans keeps getting pushed further and further back across all continents.
The stories we were told in history class are not correct. Ancient humans were much older and more advanced than our comfortable meta-narratives lead us to believe.
Speaking of comfortable meta-narratives, here's a radical idea: what if the story you've been told about how technology is making humanity better and better, is bullshit?? What if that's the reason you're so unhappy, so frustrated, so out-of-tune with reality? Think about that next time you sit down at your computer screen, blindly punching keys for 8 hours while sipping your chilled Diet Coke like an ape.
"Every culture that's ever existed has operated under the illusion that it understood 95% of reality and that the other 5% would be delivered in the next 18 months, and from Egypt forward they've been running around believing they had a perfect grip on things and yet we look back at every society that preceded us with great smugness at how naive they all were. Well, it never occurs to us, then, that maybe we're whistling in the dark too!"
-- Terence McKenna
Did you know that up to 4% of the population are sociopaths? Which means these people do not feel guilt, remorse, or empathy towards other human beings. Their brain physiology simply doesn't allow for it. Such people often become con-artists, scammers, and cult leaders — wreaking havoc and leaving behind a trail of ruined lives.
Here's a great article about How To Spot Sociopaths
If you're a woman, be especially careful not to get sucked into an intimate relationship with such a man.
If you have a sociopath in your life, don't accommodate him or try to reform him. Cut him out of your life entirely.
Time to go on a fishing trip ;)
"What prevents growth? Ungratified deficiency-needs, the attractions of safety and security, the functions of defense and protection against pain, fear, loss, and threat, and the need for courage in order to grow ahead."
-- Abraham Maslow
There you go. Why you're stuck, in a nutshell.
It's worth taking some time to contemplate this.
The National Geographic reality TV show "Life Below Zero" has many life lessons for self-actualizers.
The problem is that modern humans have no idea what "survival" really means, because modern society has made survival so convenient and so transparent. This might seem like a great thing, except that is makes you fundamentally unconscious of the entire process of life. Because even though you might not hunt and skin your own meat, you are nevertheless completely wrapped up in the process of survival even if you live in NYC — you just don't realize it.
The value of this show is that it helps to offset this ignorance.
I watched 4 seasons of the show and it gave me many profound insights about self-actualization. Here's what you can learn from it:
You can find the show on Netflix.
Here's a preview:
Careful not to binge watch it.
"Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side."
-- Yiddish proverb
Remember this classic Simpson's episode?
Homer eats an insanity pepper at the Springfield Chili Cook-off which sends him on a hallucinatory mystical journey.
You can only fully appreciate it if you've done psychedelics. The Simpsons at its finest.