Lou7

Trying A New Field Or Sticking To My Mission

3 posts in this topic

First let's do a little background on me: I'm 22, I'm a student of psychology from Poland also working as a courier to be able to live away from my parents and volounteering in my free time. I grew up in poor culture both physically and mentally and now when I got into personal development I'm starting to see that I'm surrounded by really bad examples, constantly complaining people.

Along my way I was into excersising and holistic health (Elliott Hulse's videos brought me to study psychology), zen and overall eastern philosophies, calisthenics/street workout, video games, comedy, psychedelics (and their use to treat depression), spirituality, science, technology, meditation, brain and consciousness. A while ago I figured out that my LP would be neuroscience (which is probably a good pick for that combo of interests) and I'm slowly planning to study it abroad in the future after getting a degree psychology. Also recently I started to be interested in business even though it very much doesn't suit my personality (I'm introverted and don't really enjoy small talk that doesn't accomplish anything) and I don't have any business ideas. I might have a bit unhealthy ambitions for the point I'm in right now, considering my recent transitions but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to try out business, get a mentor or go hard into neuroscience and get a mentor there because it's the stuff that interests me the most.

I'm currently reading and learning a lot above my study program (because neuroscience isn't something I can really push into that early) but I get some guilt trips that I'm not taking enough actions. I'm also writing sort of a journal with 1 sentence insights in topics of spirituality and existence, which really calms me down but I'm not sure if I should post it publicly in a form of a blog or just write it for myself.

I don't have any substance addictions (I'm super healthy) but I feel like I'm addicted to learning (to the point of procrastination). I know a lot but I don't know how to use this knowledge to make money - is learning business good for that? Or should I take up small gigs like internet transcriptions? I feel like I could use my free time for something more creative, because right now I'm just consuming information and excersise. I also comeback a lot to a thought that I could become a streamer on twitch, which would be like living a dream but that doesn't contribute much to society at large.

I have a few good friends, because most people my age are only into drinking which is not something I'm into because it's so culturally ingrained, I want to meet more passionate people but I can't see any in my circles.

TL;DR: Keep at my mission - neuroscience or learn new skills in business?

Imagine your perfect day at work and pick an occupation that suits it. If you're addicted to learning, which is just perfect, pick a position in which research would be the main task. But don't discount the financial aspect as money can be utilised to further your growth.

Update: after watching Leo's newest Hero Journey video I got really confused. I feel like my neuroscience thing might be fueled by selfish ambition and neurotic need for achievement. The thing is I really feel like streaming video games might be my life calling - because it's ego-diminishing thing by our culture standards and that's thing I suppose to be ashamed of. The "journey" part is that I'm not very extroverted person and that would require from me being massively entertaining. Wow I really felt like I strongly knew what I was doing and that video hit me hard and left confused as ****.