Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rewrite

Memory Reconsolidation

2 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to make active attempts into applying the concept of memory reconsolidation to improve themselves.

The way it works for those unfamiliar is that whenever a memory is recalled, it is open to being altered as you save the memory again. In other words, when you load up a memory, it is now in the same limbo working space as new information active on your mind being processed.

I need to relocate this study that mentions psychotherapy,but it does benefit from this process of memory reconsolidation. Here is a literature review about dreaming and memory reorganization and schema integration and disintegration http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074742715000076

Look for section 4 and 4.1. It will mention stuff about dreaming is meant to strengthen the content of a memory while disarming the emotional tone. Another interesting point is how dreams can influence fear learning and avoidance behaviors, and disrupting REM sleep can avoid that process from happening.

Other things of interest are how THC disrupts memory consolidation in the hippocampus resulting in increased false memory formation. This seems like it could be useful to dig up past memories that have had detrimental influences on you to blur in some less aversive associations

I see some interesting potential here and I have not seen the term memory reconsoldiation thrown around as much as I would expect around here

I read something about it that was connected with meditation and also how we are fooled by our memories but I don't know enough of how the brain works to say that the memory actually changes. This video gives a nice overview over the process of memories being changed and we thinking something it was actually not correct.