Kvath

Coach Vs Psychoanalyst

1 post in this topic

Hey all,

First a little contextualization, if you dont want to read here is the question: What are the main pros and cons of the coaching/psychology dichotomy?

I have this family circumstance, it's been a hard year for me and although i've gotten better and i'm really happy with my results so far my family is not that happy. I think it's mainly because i'm unemployed but my efforts so far are not enough for them  and they want me to become a full fledged professional (anthropology is my degree) or something more "conventional". They know i don't want anthropology (although i like marketing and innovation but here in Colombia is more of work with minorities and gov work) and i'm thriving for other areas more fulfilling to myself but whatever, i'm not bending.

Anyway for some time they've been flirting with the idea of me and a psychologist/psychoanalyst, i don't like to wallow in the past and for my experience in anthropology, although i'm no expert, i dont trust on the psychology theory and methods to treat people. What i do like is the opportunity to share with someone and just talk, lately i feel that no one gets me and can't talk to anyone about my life, feeling a little alien i guess but i know waking from the matrix is hard (i know i have you guys and i love the community here but it's really different interacting with someone in person).

I've had some approaches with coaching and i really like the fact that someone wants to understand me and get the best of me -contrary to someone judge me and wanting to fit into a specific mold. I'm not a coach expert neither but i think that would be my way.

I'd like to ask you your thoughts about this dichotomy coaching/psychology and if someone could illustrate me on pros and cons that would be great. Also if some coach sees this you know you have a potential client ;)