Surrealist

Systems Of Managing Project Completion / Problem Solving

2 posts in this topic

What is your personal system of organizing all your projects and making sure you execute on them? Do you recommend resources or examples or books on this topic?

My underdeveloped system looks like this: 

Elements involved: Problem, Task, Habit, Concept, Tool

System: 

- Maintain a list of current projects / problems to be solved now, and on hold projects and problems that will be addressed later

- Keep a page of notes regarding concepts and tools for each project or problem

- Maintain a master Todo list with tasks to do now, and tasks on hold for later

- Maintain a list of daily habits, and habits currently being intentionally broken (by abstinence or replacement)

++

Some points of difficulty and confusion: 

- I keep a master todo list as opposed to multiple project specific ones as to not forget items, which blurs into one long confusing list

- The visual representation of the overwhelming number of problems and tasks and practices can make me feel helpless / depressed

- I have my daily practices (meditation etc) and I don't know whether or not to mix up project based practices into that list, or keep them separated

To improve your habits use system goals http://jamesclear.com/goals-systems.

I usually use my mind as my to do list to not waste any paper. This can pretty bad if there too much to do than I will probably write it down . It should never reach that point because I do my tasks for today. If you want to really understand something use spaced repetition. Use mnemonics if there too much to remember. And if you use your notes everyday and practice it. It will be easier to remember. If you have way to many stuff to do than do the hard things first then finish off with easy. If you find that hard than do the opposite. Just focus on one thing at a time. Don't multitask, your brain performs worst when multitasking http://www.inc.com/larry-kim/why-multi-tasking-is-killing-your-brain.html. When you multitask you are distributing your focus across multiple things and that focus will become less and less if you keep on having to refocus on something but decide to switch something else.  Take a break after finishing something than continue on to the next one and to the next one. Use rewards to keep you motivated. Lower your simulation (TV,internet, etc).