Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cosmin_Visan

My work on consciousness - emergence and self-reference

1 post in this topic

I've been following Leo for quite some time on youtube, but I didn't thought before to also check this website. It's a nice surprise that it also has a forum, so that I can make my ideas known and thus contribute to the advancement of science in the study of consciousness. Therefore...

My work on consciousness can be found here:

https://philpeople.org/profiles/cosmin-visan

There is also a video there that I presented at the Science & Nonduality conference, though I highly recommend reading the papers. We can discuss here various topics that you find interesting from my work, or you can open individual topics. The main ideas that I think I bring new is the idea that consciousness is structured on a holarchy of emergent levels and the idea that this is done by an entity that I call self-reference. For example, in the visual domain this would be the qualia of: black-and-white -> shades-of-gray -> colors -> shapes -> objects -> full visual scene. The characteristic of the emergent structure of consciousness being that each level includes and transcends the previous level. This can be explored in "The Emergent Structure of Consciousness" paper. Then, in "The Self-Referential Aspect of Consciousness" I show how this structure is obtained by self-reference, which is an entity with the property of looking-back-at-itself. By looking-back-at-itself, self-reference includes and transcends its previous self. Because of this property, self-reference is unformalizable. Also, this means that it is no-thing and every-thing, both at the same time. And this also leads to what Leo is teaching that I am God. Because of its unformalizable nature, self-reference is not a thing, but at the same time, it also generates and is all the things, all qualia, so all consciousnesses are forms of manifestation of self-reference, self-reference which can be taken to be God.

In the other papers, I apply these ideas to all sorts of cases, like in "The Quale of Time" I show how time is also a quale part of the emergent structure of consciousness, and in "On the Phenomenon of Unification" I show how the dynamics of self-reference is responsible for the unification of consciousnesses (like what happens with the 2 "brain" hemispheres) and for telepathy (which I postulate to be a case of consciousnesses unification).

You can also buy my book, to help me financially, though the book is formed from my papers put together, so you can just read the papers.

I will gladly like to know what you think about my ideas and it would be nice if together we can help push forward the advancement of science such as to make consciousness its primary field of study.

Edited by Cosmin_Visan