retepification

Jhana guide

3 posts in this topic

So I've read up on some of the advice on this thread on how to reach jhanic states. Concentrate 5 minutes like a laser beam on a single point as hard as you can for 5 minutes. I have several questions

1. How do you know when to add more time

2. I find I'm controlling my breath? Because of this I try to breath normally. If I don't breath normally then I just end up holding my breath which takes me further from the meditation object. What do I do?

3. What do I do about sensory distractions. I find that a lot of times I can stop thinking for 5 minutes but then get distracted by other senses

4. Is the goal to reach access concentration after these 5 minutes?

Hi, I'll try to help but I am not an expert. I've definitely been able to reach up to 1st jhana and I believe momentarily 2nd jhana. I've never heard about concentrating for only 5 mins. The first time I was able to reach jhana was on a 10 day buddhist retreat, given by a Pa Auk teacher. And it took probably 3 or 4 days of settling in and constant meditation. At home now, I can reach the 1st jhana but it is not as easy to replicate. I think that you begin with concentration, whether its 5 mins or 20 mins is not important. Some days, concentration is nearly impossible. Other days, concentration is fast. Really it depends on you and your mental state. Usually, people start with the breath and as you focus, you will begin to feel peaceful feelings arise. There are different ways to reach jhana, you can focus on a smile, if you see lights, you can focus on that, or any pleasant feeling. Or you can do metta / loving kindness practice. If you can reach jhana, then you decide how long you'd like to remain in it. Longer is better. 

On your question 2. You could use the abdomen as your object instead. When inhaling, you think, "rising", at the exhale, think "falling". This is Mahasi Sayadaw instruction. Then if a thought arises, you think "thinking, thinking."

Question 3- 5 mins of concentration is great! When you start to stray away or lose concentration, refocus and start again. Thoughts will be there.  Sensations come. You could try labeling as I said above. 

There are a few resources that I've found are good-

leigh brasington or go to leighb.com/jhanas.htm

YouTube- Ajahn Sona is having a six week talk about the jhanas right now. Every Sunday is a new video. Ajahn Sona is amazing. 

Dan Ingram's book, Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha is good too. Its online for free. 

If you like step by step, hardcore stuff, look up Pa Auk Sayadaw. His teachings focus a lot of jhana. His book knowing and seeing is available for free online. I'd go with Dan Ingram first though. 

The best is going on retreat and getting instruction from a teacher who can help you. That is how I was able to do it, as the teacher would ask me to describe my meditation and he gave me advise. Of course, at this time, this may not be an option. Just fyi, you will not find teachings of jhanas at many retreats. Check with the teacher or course info. Many people want to learn vipassana more than samadhi/ jhana.

Ok so there are two sources I think you should look at. 

Right Concentration by Leigh Brasington. ebook you can find online or pay for. Here is his jhana checklist: http://www.leighb.com/jhana2do.htm 

Then if you really are going to put in the time the best method that I used to get to 4th jhana is the retreat recordings : 

Practising the Jhānas  by   Rob Burbea : https://dharmaseed.org/retreats/4496/?page=1   and transcript: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VFtEWc9ARmRckElM01Z-yLWeptAodLGG/view?usp=sharing   

This is by far the best way to learn because it will tell you everything and I think his energy body teaching is one of the easier ways to develop Piti. I still look at Leigh's book from time to time as a quick reminder but Rob's stuff is at the heart of most of what I am doing. 

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.