Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Samuel11

Feeling unmotivated and like work is pointless

1 post in this topic

I am currently following an engineering course, which I started with the intent to work on green energy. I started last year, with me burning out after the first semester due to several reasons and being unable to work during the second semester due to all the mental and physical problems all that stress caused (symptoms of depression, sleeping 12+ hours, being very anxious and having my body constantly shaking). Those effects faded away towards the end of the second semester and completely during the summer.

Since the beginning of this school year I have been having a lot of trouble studying or doing anything related to the study. I feel like it is completely pointless, and that no matter if I study or not it will not affect my happiness levels. I have noticed some emotional resistance to studying, which might be a defence mechanism from burning out again. From a logical point of view I know this is a strategic blunder and that I should finish this study to be able to gain financial independance and to be able to create something meaningful. My feelings however tell me that all of this is completely pointless and that I would be as happy with an easy part time job that would bring me enough money for survival (I live in western europe and could easily move to a place where this is possible), so that I could focus on my hobbies, spirituality and well being.

Anyone here who has dealt with a similar situation? Would the life purpose course be useful for me? What should I do? I have been stuck in this position for months now and would like to move forward, whether that means gaining motivation or finding something new to do.