Electron

Dropping Out ??

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys ! I am going through a serious dilemma and its making me sick.  I aspire to become a physicist. But dwelling into the subject my own way for this long helped me create a different approach to learning. I, in a sense, have never been a strict student, I have always been exploring and researching on any thing I bump into and doing so I develop my own understanding and my own approach to things in science. I don't like being told how to think of something, I think that, that bit should be left to us. But in places like college, I find that its not possible to dwell deeper into the things and befriend those topics your own way due to the small amount of time that is assigned to a particular topic. I don't like just staying in the perimeter. How on earth can curiosity have a curriculum ? I want to know the world around me my own way, I think that being institutionalized is holding me back as it doesn't let anytime for creativity and exploration. They say that I will get at a lot of time when I become a researcher to do this kind of stuff but It just doesn't resonate with me.

But I am afraid that no one will let me drop out. Also, I haven't actually figured out what will I do in the long term. I also suspect that I might be running away from the mumbo jumbo of this college stuff thinking short term. 

I just have faith, and I know that I can learn things my own way and I think that I probably need to. Doing and learning things my own way makes me feel them. And I don't like not feeling the things I study and I don't think I can ever become great at what I do if I don't have this playful & unique access to the knowledge I possess.

Edited by Electron

In a field like physics a degree and the resources available at universities can be valuable and worth the downsides. I left school a few years ago but plan on returning in the future just to study physics. Maybe you can lessen your course load so you can accomplish what your professors expect of you at the same time as doing your personal research & studies. How important is it to you to work or study in this field? If you have no desire to make it a career then leave as soon as you can and just study on your own. Are you able to afford it? In the moment it does feel like dropping out will solve problems and make you feel better, maybe put you on the right path. But it's by no means easier! I accepted that it would be more difficult, but I was rudely awoken. It really depends on how far into it you are, but in your case I do believe it would be worth the negative aspects to continue.