Zane

Job Hunt Advice

1 post in this topic

Job Hunt Advice

I've been working at my job for 7 months. It feels like time at a new job can flow by. I've exceeded expectations in Customer Service and being Mission-focused in my review. I keep making progress by getting rave reviews for my passion from customers and my managers because I've dedicated myself to mastering the job. However, finding the job, was one of my biggest life challenges that I overcame. To those struggling on the job hunt and feeling defeated, I have extensive advice to help you skyrocket your results. I'm mastering the job hunt!

1. Focus on doing deep research of the niches you want to excel in. The sheer variety of job niches is STAGGERING!! There are ridiculously AWESOME jobs that really exist. A perfect example is the summer camp market. There's a whole niche for using LEGOs as a teaching tool for STEM. There's a niche for swords and sorcery RPG camps. There's a niche for adventure camps. When on the hunt, you need to delve deep into research to choose the best niche for you. I stumble across an AWESOME job like a swords and sorcery camp Art and Play Instructor, a Game Show Host, and sure enough, another opportunity comes up. That leads to feeling overwhelmed by options. I focus on fusing niches together and ask "how can I make it into a sustainable career?" How can I do a Candy Store Ambassador, Art and Play Instructor, Creative Writing gig, and Game Show Host? I focus on finding a practical way to fuse the jobs together. One of the most frustrating feelings is the inner doubt of "the dream job is stupid and there's nothing out there! What will i do with my career?" The first step is to focus on brainstorming career ideas and hit niche job boards (nonprofit job boards/arts job boards/outdoor adventures/summer camps) and go exploring. Also connect with people in those industries through LinkedIn.

2. Be patient, flexible, and think big picture and reframe rejection. The truth is that the job hunt can be a long process. Sometimes, you submit a resume but you don't get a response or a rejection. Rejection can hurt but one of the pitfalls is that if you dwell on it too long, it puts you in a vicious cycle of self-doubt where you feel “I’ll never get a job. There’s no job out there for me! I’m a failure!” I remember getting dozens of rejections and feeling discouraged. However, one rejection is a step closer to an offer. The best strategy when you get a rejection or many is to refuse to despair. Despair will limit your progress and prevent that AMAZING breakthrough. I remember that first moment of getting my first offer on the spot and feeling that ECSTATIC rush. Despite the long journey, it's so amazing when you finally win. It feels profound!! Like i've accomplished something!! However, despite the 7 months of my current job, i don't want to rest on my laurels. I want to focus on rocking the job to earn an AWESOME review and the growth opportunities. I want to keep smashing expectations and explore those AWESOME jobs.

Edited by Zane