Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luna Wilde

Finding Life

14 posts in this topic

'When the student is ready, the teacher will appear' 

Isn't it weird how life has a way of presenting the gifts as you need them. After spending the morning finishing reading 'The monk who sold his Ferrari' Robin Sharma, I spent some time working out how I could put the teachings into practice.

My re-evaluated life and goals looked a little like this:

• Wake at 6am, with a prayer of gratitude and practice of yoga and meditation
  • Use a mantra for the day on the journey to work
  • During the day practice mindfulness, kindness and positive thinking
  • Walk in the evening
  • Read for knowledge and inspiration 
  • Journal - evaluation of the day, strengths/weaknesses, dreams, thoughts, inspirations

Although this may seem a lot to take on, some of these practices are already a part of my life.

My ultimate goal is to discover my life's purpose. I started with list of things I enjoy and am passionate about, natural characteristics and personality traits, skills and knowledge I have gained and things I am good at. My aim is to continue to discover more about my self through the process of meditation and journaling and general life living and try to find my life purpose.

I picked four concrete goals that I can work on now, towards self-improvement.

• Finance - save as much as possible this year. (Waiting 30 days before random purchases)
  • Career - be as good as I can at my job. (Be prepared, up to date on the industry, expand my knowledge and enjoy it)
  • Spirituality - create peace and discovery of self. (Mediate, journal, mindfulness)
  • Physicality - shape a ballerina body. (My strengths and work revolves around dance. Follow set workout routine)

At first glance, this appears to be a big list of life changes, which it is. I don't expect to realistically achieve all of this at the same time. My intention is to take one goal at a time and do this for 30days. This goal is the focus, however, if I find the inspiration to work on the other goals, I'm not going to stop myself from doing them.

I will start with waking at 6am. Which means I will have more time. Which means I will probably want to continue my habit of meditation in that time. But the focus is waking at 6am.

The gift of this forum and place to journal allows me to be with like-minded people, find advice and be held accountable to my goals. If I do not achieve my goal of 6am starts for 1 week my punishment is a cold shower. I am saying that here and now. Eeeek!!!

Here goes - living changes, finding life.

Luna

interesting stuff :)

i've being taking cold shower's for about 2 months, i don't think it's a good punishment ! it's something you could do daily, that's good for you.

:) It's definitely a punishment for me!! I hate cold showers. Although that's cool to hear it's good for me.

What are the benefits you find?

lol, cold showers are amazing though! xD 

Anyway, I liked your 4 concrete goals. You have great habits and intentions. I like that you recognize taking on too much at once it a lot. I'm also going to try to wake up earlier. We should be accountability partners somehow. :) 

Cheers

Really wonderful to see you have such high goals for you. Truly an inspiration. I'm really wanting to incorperate meditation and yoga in my daily life. Only problem, I really HATE mornings! I'd love to be a morning person! I set my alarm early all the time in hopes of actually getting up and starting my day off right. But I just find myself hitting snooze again and again and again. Any advice on starting my day off earlier so I can incorporate mediation and yoga into my daily routine? 

Jess

10 hours ago, Therealbigyo said:

lol, cold showers are amazing though! xD 

Anyway, I liked your 4 concrete goals. You have great habits and intentions. I like that you recognize taking on too much at once it a lot. I'm also going to try to wake up earlier. We should be accountability partners somehow. :) 

Cheers

Yes we should definitely be accountability partners! I woke up at 6am today. It wasn't too bad!

10 hours ago, JessW said:

Really wonderful to see you have such high goals for you. Truly an inspiration. I'm really wanting to incorperate meditation and yoga in my daily life. Only problem, I really HATE mornings! I'd love to be a morning person! I set my alarm early all the time in hopes of actually getting up and starting my day off right. But I just find myself hitting snooze again and again and again. Any advice on starting my day off earlier so I can incorporate mediation and yoga into my daily routine? 

Jess

Thank you! :) It really makes a difference when you can start meditating and doing yoga everyday - it's worthwhile. But yes, so hard to get up in the morning. Here's the things that work for me to help me get up - putting the alarm out of reach of the bed, so I have to be up to turn it off and then going and getting a glass of water straight away. Once I've drunk the water, I'm up and I have to not even let myself think about going back to bed! Then I might just read some inspiring articles or watch an inspiring video. The other thing is to not pressure myself with yoga and meditation - I've learnt to do just what I feel like doing that day - if I'm really tired I will do a gentle yoga, rather than forcing myself into something more vigorous. I've tried before to stick to a yoga routine, or those 30days of yoga on YouTube, but sometimes I just don't feel like it and it's much better to do something simpler than burn out and give up. Also if you miss a day - so what? It doesn't really matter - don't let that pull you of the wagon. Just get up early the next day and carry on.

I've set myself the goal of getting up early for 30days in a row and I'm hoping that will help turn it into a habit. I started today at 6am. It wasn't too bad. I felt a bit tired and I took my time before I started with yoga and meditation but it was nice to have what felt like a much longer, slower paced morning. 

You should just start!!! It will be worthwhile when you get into it - you can do it! :D

Luna! Thanks so much for the advice!! I'll definitely have to try that! First I need to start going to bed at an earlier time!! Some might call me a diva. Lol I like sleep but I'm a night owl so I like to sleep in ? I'll work on it tho! I always feel better when I start my day off with some form of exercise and I struggle with add so meditation before I start my day would definitely help I bet! I'll try! Thanks again! And good luck on your 30 days!! I know you can do it! ☺️

On 08/02/2016 at 6:02 AM, Luna Wilde said:

:) It's definitely a punishment for me!! I hate cold showers. Although that's cool to hear it's good for me.

What are the benefits you find?

Manly focus,i always meditate better after a cold shower.

But there are other benefits,my skin and hair looks really better :)

7 hours ago, Luna Wilde said:

@Brazilian Interesting!! Now I am tempted to take a cold shower before meditating to see what it's like!

try and tell me your experience!

I was reading your topic again and i was thinking...why instead of finding a meaning for life you don't create one for yourself?

On 10 February 2016 at 3:52 AM, Brazilian said:

why instead of finding a meaning for life you don't create one for yourself?

What do you mean by this? Deciding to do something and doing it?

On 11/02/2016 at 1:01 PM, Luna Wilde said:

What do you mean by this? Deciding to do something and doing it?

I think the humanity shouldn't  try to find a reason for everything and more then that , i really think that some questions have no awnsers.

Maybe the question should be , how should i spend my life?

One whole week of getting up at 6am complete. No cold shower this week! :P I managed to do it everyday, letting myself do whatever I wanted to do in the morning. This really helped as the goal was to just wake up early. Had I made it to wake up early and do yoga straight away I think I would have failed. Baby steps. One habit at a time. It was really enjoyable having that extra time in the morning, however it was not enjoyable waking when the alarm went off and staying awake. The enjoyment came later when it was 10am and I had already done so much. 

I felt tired during the mornings but my work hours allowed me to have a nap most days. Now napping has been proven healthy and beneficial (read the blue zones) but it's not something I want to continue to do everyday, firstly because I want to get into a routine with sleeping and napping at the moment messes that up and secondly because my life won't always allow it. Next week I will cut out as much napping as possible.

This week I am going to focus on a better night routine before sleeping so that I hopefully have a better, more rested sleep. This involves not using computers/iPad/phone/television after it gets dark as the blue light emitted from the screens can stop you from producing melatonin, which is what you need to sleep. So during those times I will listen to podcasts and read books. I'm also going to try to not eat after 8pm, which may prove a little tricky as some days I don't finish work until after 8pm but that's the plan.

This feels like a really slow way to achieve my goals as just waking up early is not going to make much of a difference on its own but I am determined to stick with it and make it into a habit and through many failed experiences in trying change too much at once I think this is the best way forward, however frustratingly slow and pointless it may seem.

Luna.