Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Julian

[book] Deep Work, Cal Newport (10/10)

2 posts in this topic

This book is about important topic, something we have heard about very often: do not multitask, do not get distracted, etc. But instead of arguing that distraction is bad Newport argues for the opposite (that focus is good). And he takes this to the maximum. Deep Work--which is his way of saying focused attention on a cognitively demanding task--is becoming both increasingly rare and valuable and therefore worth mastering in life. It is so hard (or deep) that one can't sustain it for more than an hour in the beginning and four hours afters being trained at this skill.

This book shows you how to integrate deep work in your own life and it is filled with some new ideas you probably haven't heard of in similar books. He makes distinctions such as Deep Work vs Shallow Work, the Any-Benefit Mindset vs the Craftsman Mindset and he shows you an interesting way to do meditation (which I am sure, no enlightened person would acknowledge as a real meditation.)

This is my favorite book. Cal is the man.

His whole deal with the productive meditation isn't about really meditating- it's just thinking deeply; I think he calls it that because it's always nice when things sound cool and memorable.

Edited by Saitama