Falk

Strong Determination *drumroll* ...standing

8 posts in this topic

This is for the Strong-determination-sitting "fans" out there :) (we love our sds don´t we? also hate it , but that´s a different story)

Once you start to push the limits and go for the 2h or even 3h sits you will realize how it gets easier and also very time consuming (3h can´t be done on a work day)

SO:

Like the title of the thread suggests the idea is to intensify the experience!!

while 2h sd sitting with closed eyes might be easy to some of you (like myself) ...now try "only" 1h standing/eyes open ...i did and it was PURE HELL!!! xD 

(i spare you the details of me starting to cry from pain and relief when the timer finaly went of ...)

But it can be stated (at least from my limited experience) that standing absolutely increases the intensity of the practice to a different level!! (don´t know if better? but definatly way more physicaly intense)

So this is a suggestion for the classic sitters to try something new , this idea is not mine, i think i found it at shinzen young´s blog but it doesnt matter anyways , i wanted to share it because i think while sitting is absolutely great for personal development , the standing version should not be neglected as well!

Cheers, my fellow kiwis & let me know what you think ( i know the SDS community is not very big , since for most people it is not relaxing enough like a "real" mediation xD )

@Falk This is exactly what I've been planning to do a long time now,once i reach 3 hours ( 2 and 20 minutes right now) and yeah, this is real meditation. It should be mentally and physically challenging in order to make you question your existence (aka enlightenment)

Can`t see the point in hurting yourself like that.

Do some pranayamas and you`ll sit as long as you like.

Guess some folks only belief stuff when it`s hard to gain?

18 minutes ago, Henri said:

Can`t see the point in hurting yourself like that.

Do some pranayamas and you`ll sit as long as you like.

Guess some folks only belief stuff when it`s hard to gain?

Hi henry,

Maybe i came of wrong here.

I don´t mean physical pain.

The practice will make you face existential "somethingness" which i havent figured out quite yet but which i seem to not be able to stand very long yet.

(The first day after i did the practice thou i was centered like never before even when exposed to a lot of people and noise in the supermarket for example and i felt like : this is definatly a direction i want to go ...

Have you tried it yourself? Doing the practice while Standing and with opened eyes i mean...

:)

@Falk Okay, so I misinterpreted this exercise.

I thought it was about the same as Vipassana, just keep on going despite all the discomfort.... So no, never tried it...

How to see this among other exercises and where does it have its place on the developing scheme?

7 hours ago, Henri said:

@Falk Okay, so I misinterpreted this exercise.

I thought it was about the same as Vipassana, just keep on going despite all the discomfort.... So no, never tried it...

How to see this among other exercises and where does it have its place on the developing scheme?

The practice is quite simple but very effectiv. i was just talking about a minimal variation of it by standing up instead. 

You can read about it here, i put links: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHI1aPUxs4s

http://shinzenyoung.blogspot.de/2014/05/duration-training.html

also 

If you are going to do this, I'd recommend doing a Qigong standing posture so you can get the health and qi benefits of Qigong while you do it.

Here's one of the most simple standing postures in Qigong (Zhan Zhuang):

On 21.3.2016 at 5:57 AM, dlof said:

If you are going to do this, I'd recommend doing a Qigong standing posture so you can get the health and qi benefits of Qigong while you do it.

Here's one of the most simple standing postures in Qigong (Zhan Zhuang):

Cool thx, i didnt know this, i try it